Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My first Gritty Mix......need suggestions. (pic)

Posted by edweather 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 7, 12 at 19:11

Photobucket”>

I just made my first batch of gritty mix for a grapefruit seedling. It might not be holding enough water. Here's what I did:

Pine bark: Used 1/4" screen, then 1/8" screen, and kept pieces between 1/4" and 1/8".

NAPA floor dry: It seemed there was a lot of fine stuff, so I used the 1/8" screen, and kept what was left.

Manna Pro poultry grit: Again, it seemed that there was a lot of fine stuff so I also used 1/8" screen, and kept what didn't go through screen.

I soaked the bark and Floor Dry before I made the mix using a 1:1:1 ratio. Less than 2 days later the mix was almost totally dry. Is this normal? The seedling is still retaining water around the roots because there is still some seed mix around the roots. My feeling is that I need more water retention. I can still fix the mix...I'll just re-do it. Should I have used a 1/16" screen for the granite and/or Floor dry? Used a different ratio? Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My first Gritty Mix......need suggestions. (pic)

First, that's a pretty little seedling, good luck! The seedling has tiny shallow roots and the top layer of gritty mix does dry quickly, how are you checking the moisture level? I have no experience with seelings, but I do screen turface and granite at 1/16" through 3/8" (can probably use 1/4").

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 7, 12 at 21:03

The bark is good, but I'd have screened the grit and DE over insect screen only, and retained everything that didn't pass, and used it in the soil. It sounds a little on the coarse side, but probably not the end of the world once the transplant is established.

Al

o

OK, thanks. Insect screen sounds good. I have a window screen that I use and it's 1/16" x 1/16". I check the moisture with a bamboo skewer. I checked the moisture today and the whole pot was almost dry. Pot is 5 1/2" x 5 1/2".

o

Be mindful of watering, and know that with gritty mix, you can apply water, and the top will appear good and wet. However, below the surface, it may be dry, which is why I use a turkey baster to reapply the water a few times, to ensure a good soaking. Good luck!

Joe

o

Good looking mix! A touch on the coarse side, but that can be remedied.
I have some Pomelo seedlings in a very coarse version of Gritty Mix and I had to keep
the container moist while the roots were establishing.

Josh

o

Looking good!

You got all the support here. I love the reassuring words:-)

Mike

o

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. Tempted to add back a little of the fine stuff sifted out, but probably won't. Will just keep an eye on moisture. I like the idea of a turkey baster. Just happen to have an old one lying around.

o

Looks good to me!!!

: )

Pretty work!

Laura

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here