Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

need help with controlling/regulating temperature of containers

I was told to avoid temperature extreme temperature fluctuations with container gardening, you should place the container that you have stuff growing in, into another container.

I'm going to mention that I have a short growing season and spring where I live is much cooler compared to spring in warmer climates (such as Southern climates).

Even in the summer, although it's hot in the summer, it's still milder compared to summers in the south/warm climates.

If the purpose of doing this is to prevent overheating with containers, and cools down temperatures, then when it's cool out (spring and fall) is only necessary to do this in hot weather? The reason I ask is because it's still low at night with temperatures where I'm at (mid 20's to low to mid 30's). However do containers actually bump up the temperature and act as an 'incubator' for plants?

Why do you do this? Does it help cool the container down and prevent overheating?

If so, how?

I also have some other questions about it and here they are:

1.If for cool weather veggies, you use a light colored container, is this even necessary? In my case it would be white.

2. When would you do this, would it be for the whole season, or only necessary when it's really hot (summer)?

3. I've been told with container gardening you have to water more frequently. By placing the container into another container, does this help the soil retain moisture longer, and as a result, you don't have to water as frequently?

4. I'm going to be placing a smaller container into a larger container. Does it matter that the container I'm growing stuff in (which will be the smaller container, not the larger one) isn't the same size as the container it's being placed into.

Comments (5)

• dickiefickle
    13 years ago

If your containers over heat in the sun ,you could always MOVE them. It is not necessary to use container inside container , You just dont want the roots to get too hot ,I dont think you will have a problem as long as you keep them properly watered. White containers reflect more heat than black ones.

• dickiefickle
    13 years ago

If your containers over heat in the sun ,you could always MOVE them. It is not necessary to use container inside container , You just dont want the roots to get too hot ,I dont think you will have a problem as long as you keep them properly watered. White containers reflect more heat than black ones.

• Jesusbeloved29_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I'm not trying to be rude, but please don't make double posts. Also moving them is way easier said then done. This is easy for smaller containers (5 and 10 gallon). But larger containers, such as 20-50 gallons full of soil isn't so easy.

I realize it's not necessary to place the containers inside another container, I'm asking if this regulates the temperature.

The main reason I ask is because my tomatoes produced fruit last year, but it never ripened to red. I don't know if tomato plants should be kept in the shade while they are setting blossoms and producing fruit, or if they need the warmth and sunlight.

I have the same question about other things that set blossoms and produce fruit, but take awhile to mature (bell peppers, eggplants, squash, melons, okra, beans, etc.)

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Hi Amy:

I can't see any problem with them if you use clay containers since clay keeps my pots cool all summer long.

If you are growing your plants in black containers, maybe you could wrap white plastic around them, or maybe paint them. I know that light colored containers have prevented mine from over heating too.

You could also buy light colored containers and use those.

As for regulating them from getting too cold, that is one that I can only control with plants in HUGE containers or
    put container into container.
    Also I am still trying come with a better idea other than bringing them indoors since some can be way to heavy to lift.

Good question!

Mike:-)

• Phildeez
    12 years ago

Amy, double posts happen by accident via glitches with postdata on this website. Nobody is choosing to double post on purpose, that I know of. It could hinder peoples' willingness to help you if they are afraid of double posting! :)