Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rnewste

Just Finished Installing the EarthBox AWS in My EarthTainer

rnewste
15 years ago

I was able to adapt the EarthBox Company's Automated Watering System (AWS) to my much larger 31 gallon EarthTainer design via a simple modification of the filler tube. I replaced the stock 12" filler tube with a 1.5" I.D. ABS tube cut at 15.25"

{{gwi:23802}}

I located the filler tube in the center of the short length of the 'Tainer, as I wanted maximum bench strength at the corners where the tomato cage legs are attached. With my 6" aeration bench height this tube length tops the water right at 5.25" and holds it there with high accuracy.

{{gwi:23803}}

I just fired up the watering system now, and the trickle of water flowing into the 26 EarthTainers is music to my ears. No more manual watering, EVER.

{{gwi:23804}}

Well worth the per plant cost of $6.25.

Raybo

Comments (25)

• lime_coke
    15 years ago

Ah, a solution to a problem I have been trying to figure out. Now, would you please tell me how you have the trellis anchored? I am liking this self-watering container concept more and more.

• rnewste
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lime coke,

Here is a link I posted a while back with step-by-step instructions on the cage system. The key "anchor" are the "port" and starboard" guy-wires which keep the dual cage rigidly affixed to the Aeration Bench mounts.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/msg032104014727.html

Have fun, and yell with any questions.

Raybo

Here is a link that might be useful: EarthTainer cage system

• lime_coke
    15 years ago

Help! I can't find the AWS at EarthBox.com. Is it available somewhere else? Is there another way to set this up?

Thanks for your help. I get excited and just start spewing questions.

• rnewste
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lime coke,

Here is the link to the AWS:

http://shop2.mailordercentral.com/EarthBox/products.asp?dept=16

I bought the 12 unit kit which worked out to be approx $12.50 per container, for two plants.

Raybo

• jmalt31
    15 years ago

Hello,

How do these things work? How does the unit know when to add water to the box and how can the level be set?

Thanks,
    Joe

• rnewste
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Joe,

The EarthBox Company's AWS is simplicity itself! There are no moving parts (unlike in a toilet tank, for example). It works on Bernoulli's Principle to flex a diaphragm closed as the water level (pressure) rises around a sensing cup, and when the pressure rises high enough, the pneumatic diaphragm shuts off.

When the plants take up water and the pressure inside the sensor tube falls, the diaphragm opens again and water flows in until the pressure rises, and once again closes the diaphragm. Accuracy is approx +/- 1/8 inch constant level control. What a clever invention.

Raybo

• jmalt31
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info Raybo. I will have to order some of these things.

• thegeez
    15 years ago

Can someone point me to the plans for the home made earthboxes? I have seen them before, can't find them now. Thanks
    gary
    sonora,ca

• rnewste
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gary,

Here is the link to "joshos" home made instructions.

http://www.josho.com/gardening.htm

His is the genesis of most all other more recent designs. You can also do a search on Garden Web for "EarthTainer" and you will find many pictures and how-to tips to build them that I've posted.

Raybo

Here is a link that might be useful: joshos EB

• thegeez
    15 years ago

Thanks a million Raybo. I tried every combination that I could think of in the search box. Never thought of "earth tainer". The printer will be working overtime tonight.

old gar

• rnewste
    Original Author
    15 years ago

old gar,

Don't hesitate emailing me if you have any additional construction questions. This has become a fun project and I really appreciate anyone's contributions on how to make the design better.

Raybo

• mikes7298
    15 years ago

Hey Raybo,

What is the diameter earthbox AWS? I would like to know what is the smallest diameter fill tube that I can use.

Thanks.

• rnewste
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mike,

You can see in the first picture that the stock EarthBox Company's filler tube is a thin walled, 1.25 inch (od) tube, much like a golf club holder tube. I used a 1.5 inch (id) standard plumbing pipe section which the AWS unit fit nicely within the new pipe. The "shoulders" of the AWS sit on the top edge of the new filler tube.

What is the depth of your container, and what is the height of your Aeration bench?

Raybo

• kiee
    15 years ago

Raybo, I've tried to get in contact with you but can't seem to find a address to send you an e-mail?? Later, Kiee

• rnewste
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My email is: Rnewstead@aol.com

Raybo

• jrs363
    15 years ago

I have seen a couple of posts on this, but here goes. We have several earth Boxes, and I just built two 'tainers.

Previously I built a rain water collection system using three 55 gallon food barrels.

Now, I want to connect the rain barrels to an AWS equipped Earth Tainer. Anyone done anything like this.

I think the challenge will be to get the line pressure up a little to 15 psi.

I was thinking about a 12v "on demand" water pump like what goes in an RV,,

Food for thought.................

• rnewste
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jrs,

The EarthBox Company's AWS is an amazing solution. Best money I have ever spent.

Regarding your proposed approach of using collected water from barrels, you will need a good filtration system in line so as to not clog the valve in the AWS. In terms of using a 12V pump to pressurize the system, while it would work, the design of the valve in the AWS really trickles water in to the reservoir (I leave mine "on" 45 minutes per day), so you may have to leave the 12V pump on for much longer than you would like. Not sure of the duty cycle for such an RV pump that probably doesn't run for more than 15 minutes at a time (shower).

Anyway, and interesting way to recycle precious water.

Raybo

• jrs363
    15 years ago

I did a little more poking around on this subject and found that someone had used float valves in slf watering containers. A link to a site that sells them is listed below.

This is a low tech solution that should work as long as the rain barrel ais above the EarthTainer.

The only "problem" I see is having soil mix or roots interfere with the float.

John

Here is a link that might be useful: US Plastic Float Valves

• rnewste
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jrs,

I agree that the float valve with your gravity feed system is a better approach. My only concern (as you've stated) is maintaining the free-floating area so the valve doesn't get jammed - open or shut.

Be sure to then use Landscape Fabric (that water can penetrate) to contain the roots above the Aeration Bench.

{{gwi:23805}}

{{gwi:23806}}

Raybo

Here is a link that might be useful: EarthTainer Instructions

• ellee101
    14 years ago

When I first got my starter Earth Boxes, I got them from Whole Foods for $59 each. When I recently bought seeds from Gurny's, there was an offer from Earthbox directly that sold the boxes for $37 for one (including shipping). Discount is 3 for $110, 5 for $175, and 10 for $344. obviously the more you buy, the bigger the discount. Call 1-888-588-5897

I wish I can be an industrious as others who make their own but I am already being a renegade in New York City by gardening on my balcony. (i hear that I am one of the few who veggie garden in my building. I need to maximize my yield with little space so the Earthbox option is the best one for me. So far, I am learning to be a better gardener and have higher yields every year. My first year was dismal b/c I didn't know what I was doing. Now I use seeds, start my plants in a greenhouse rack, and use self watering containers. Hopefully I will have more happy news to report at the end of summer.

• rnewste
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ellee,

The EarthBox (tm) is a wonderful product! I own them myself and am very happy with the results. NYC on a balcony presents a real challenge,. and your EarthBox will give you production that I could never get from top down watering in pots.

I am growing 6 Pepper Plants in one of my EarthBoxes this year.

Raybo

• bonesci
    14 years ago

Hey Raybo,

It seems the 5-inch diameter wicking baskets are out of stock everywhere that I have checked. I was able to get 4x4x4 square baskets. Do you think these are too small? I plan on using the 'tainers for peppers and tomatoes, which both lik eit onthe dryer side. Thanks!

Chris

• rnewste
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Chris,

The 4" square baskets *might* work. All I know is that the 5" diameter round ones work great. You can do the math on the 16 sq. inches of the 4" square vs. the surface area of the 5" round ones (don't have my Slide Rule handy at the moment).

Raybo

• bonesci
    14 years ago

Thanks Ray,

I end up with ~19.6 for the 5" round basket. Don't really have a choice but to wait a couple more weeks until the round ones supposedly come in. But it's getting real late to plant.
    What I don't quite get is what determines the wicking. I thought the water would be pulled up as the plants use it or it transpires from the top. I suppose a too small basket might not be able to keep up, but why would a larger one make it too wet?

• rnewste
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bones,

Have you tried your local Hydro Shop? Ask for a 5" Net Pot. They will know what you mean.

As a last resort, I still have a few extra ones that I am not using, so send me an email if you would like them. You can have them for what I paid, plus about $4 First Class shipping to you. You would probably get them by Saturday First Class.

Raybo

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource