Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using a Systemic Insecticide in Gritty Mix

Posted by ginger9899 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 19:29

Hello, I am new posting to the forum but lurk here constantly and am eternally grateful for all of the advice. I am growing mostly Plumeria and Adeniums but have several other potted plants and am posting this here because my question could apply to any of them.

If this has been mentioned I apologize but I have read hundreds of posts and haven't seen it addressed, or missed it. I am wondering if I can use a systemic insecticide successfully with Al's gritty mix. I have recently taken the plunge and potted a couple things in the mix and and am happy except I notice the water does run straight through, and the systemic I use says not to let it run through for 10 days at first. Can I use this and literally only mist or use 1/4 a cup of water or something for the 10 days? Does a systemic insecticide work the same in a gritty mix as it does in soil? I only use it on things like my Adeniums that seem to drop all leaves the second I use any kind of soap or oil on them, and they get mealy bugs a lot. I get tired of attacking them with rubbing alcohol constantly (although I am grateful to have the rubbing alcohol work and not cause them to drop leaves).

Thanks for any insight into this, I appreciate any advice and am glad to finally be posting instead of lurking.

-Heather

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using a Systemic Insecticide in Gritty Mix

I've used imidacloprid in granular form on several plants in gritty mix for mealy bugs and spider mites and it worked well. Plants include bougainvillea, plumerias, clivias, and mandevilla. Is your systemic insecticide applied in liquid form? The stuff I used is commonly available. The label says not to water too heavily for 10 days, but I didn't take that to mean I couldn't water at all. I've only used it when the plants are indoors for winter, so they were fine with infrequent watering. If you've watered well before applying, and only lightly as needed for the first week after applying, I think you'll be fine.

o
RE: Using a Systemic Insecticide in Gritty Mix

Thanks Ohiofem, I do use granular. I just wanted to hear that it would work the same as in soil. It will be hard to only water enough as to not let it drain out the bottom with the gritty mix I think.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here