Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clover as Live Mulch?

Posted by ehsteve (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 29, 12 at 19:35

Hi,

Has anyone tried using clover as a live much cover for container gardening? (I'm growing peppers and tomatoes).

I understand that clover is nitrogen fixing so was hoping the presence of clover would add to the nutrition in the soil while also helping keep the direct sun off the top of the soil.

Would there be any major problems with this? Would the clover produce a meaningful amount of nitrogen or would it be there more for aesthetic purposes (beyond the mulching)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clover as Live Mulch?

I don't think you'd see much benefit (in terms of added nitrogen) for single season crops such as peppers and tomatoes. Legumes are great nitrogen fixing cover crops. But my understanding is that the benefit to the soil is provided when they are plowed under - not when they are actively growing. Within the confines of a container, I think you'd be creating nutrient competition.

o
RE: Clover as Live Mulch?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 29, 12 at 22:10

What makes you think you need the extra N - that's what fertilizers are for. ;-) Even if it was to add N, it would be competing for everything else ...... and how are you going to deal with THAT?

I'd skip the idea, depend on your fertilizer as the N source, and mulch with bark or similar if you think it's necessary. Keep in mind that you can't turn over a cover crop in container culture like you can in the garden. There are a lot of significant differences between container culture and gardening, one of which you probably just hit on.

Best luck to you!

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here