Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Container gardens and sunlight

Posted by NancyB_D 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 19:47

Long story short we had a house fire so this year my very large 10-12 hours of sunlight garden is now a 8-13 apartment yard surrounded by 6' fence with horrible soil. So an all container garden it has to be this year. I have 5 "earthboxes" some grow bags and lots of plastic pots thanks to an OSH grand opening where they were 75% off plus discount coupons so a 22" pot cost me somewhere around $4. and they were giving away free 5 gallon buckets all weekend. Yes I took my husband all my kids for both days! Everyone got a free bucket! I have done some container gardening but like I said my yard had lots of sun. Right now I have a space that currently gets 6-6 1/2 of sun a day should be more as the days get longer. maybe 8- 8 1/2. but it is morning sun right now 8 am -2:30 pm will I be able to grow tomatos, corn (I found a corn seed made for containers) cucumbers,peppers, and squash in that area? I already plan on leafy greens for the areas that don't get as much sun.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Container gardens and sunlight

I grow all of those things in large containers with about 6-7 hours of sun broken up to about half in the morning and half in late afternoon in Southwest Ohio. I may not get quite the yield I would get with more sun, but I consider my yield very good. Morning sun may actually be better than late afternoon sun because it helps evaporate morning dew and thus reduces the risk of many diseases. Plus, in heat waves like we had last summer, afternoon sun is more damaging.

o
RE: Container gardens and sunlight

You should be able to grow a great garden with that sun.

I grow decent vegetables in 4 hours/day 11am to 3pm.

Morning sun is much better, plants many times wilt in afternoon sun. When wilting, photosynthesis is shut off so "afternoon wilting sunlight hours" are really useless to plant growth. Read somewhere also that the light spectrum is better in the morning (can't find the reference though).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here