Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grow ginkgo tree in pot?

Posted by kal2002 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 20, 09 at 20:08

I have a ginkgo tree that is about 6 feet tall. It was planted in the ground during spring last year. It came in a 5-gallon container. I would like to grow it in a pot instead. Does anyone know if it will survive in a big clay pot? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grow ginkgo tree in pot?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 20, 09 at 21:07

Sure it will do well in a pot ....... with a little research on how to proceed. Containerized ginko are traditionally grown in the 'flame' style. If you've got what it takes to make the cut, I'll help you develop it. ;o)

Al

o

Hi Al,

Right now, the tree is in regular tree form with a trunk and a few branches. Can it continue to grow this way instead of the 'flame' style?

o

Tue, Apr 21, 09 at 9:23

Sure - you may wish to shorten it, though - unless you have a strategy for keeping it from toppling.

Al

o

That is a good idea but how do I shorten it? Prune it from the top? I was thinking of planting it in a 15" or 18" terra cotta pot and hope that it will not topple.

o

Thu, Apr 23, 09 at 17:42

Just chop it at 2/3 of the height you want it to end up at.

These are Styrax japonica trees (Japanese snowbell) with 3-4" trunks that I had growing on for several years in raised beds as bonsai material. They were over 8 ft tall when I dug them a couple of weeks ago and chopped them back to around 12-15" tall. After they flush out & I see what the trees tell me about what shape they want to take, I'll be reducing them so the trunks are prolly going to be under 8" from the soil line. I've done this sooo many times - I have no worry about survival or that the tree is only a few years from being something very beautiful.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Oh yeah - how do you like the soil? ;o)

Pretty powerful looking roots, aren't they? In bonsai, the most important part of the tree are the roots and how well they connect to the tree. The trees already looks ancient and they don't even have any branches yet.

No guts - no glory. ;o) Gonna take the plunge?

Al

o

Nice looking roots. Are there bark and rocks on top of the soil? I don't think I am going to cut mine that short because I might use it as a short shade tree. I don't want it to grow much taller than 6' though or it just might topple over. Even if I don't use it as a short shade tree, I don't think I have the guts to chop it down to 12" tall. That takes a lot of courage.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here