Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Croton needs pruning, but its lost all its lower leaves

Posted by plant_lover_grow z 8b-9a (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 20:14

I have a Curly Leaf Croton that desperately needs pruning. Its lower leaves fell off this past winter, and all that's left is its uppermost growth. It needs to be cut back bellow all the new growth in order to be shaped properly, but I'm not sure if it will harm the plant to cut it back that far, because it will leave a bare stub.
My goal is to persuade some back budding on the lower part of its branches where all the leaves dropped. Can anyone give me some advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Croton needs pruning, but its lost all its lower leaves

hi plant_lover
crotons do budback well.But if you don't want to take chance I will suggest you to do an air layering 1-2" bellow the top growth. this way you can get a new plant and the old one will grow branches from where the top section is cut. This process will also encourage seed production in crotons.from personal experience I can say that succsess rate is quite high. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here