Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what crops are best to plant in earthboxes?

Posted by kawaiineko_gardener 5a (jesusbeloved29@yahoo.com) on
Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 20:16

I know that any veggie (supposedly) can be grown in an earthbox, at least according to the claim on their site, and their planting guidelines for earthboxes.

However I've read reviews on them and some crops get either reduced yields or reduced size in fruit (in comparison to growing them in the ground or using another method of gardening); generally I've heard tomatoes will grow in earthboxes but the fruit size of larger varieties is reduced.

I've seen the same thing (suppposedly) with peppers.

This isn't from personal experience, it's just based on recommendations (via the reviews I've read via some sites) on what does and doesn't do well in earthboxes.

Are there certain crops that work better and get better yields with earthboxes compared to others? If so, what?

I have 10 of them, and I don't want to waste space and plants planting something in an earthbox, if it will get better yields and grow better using another method of gardening.

I was thinking of beans and okra, but will the yields be reduced from planting beans in an earthbox?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what crops are best to plant in earthboxes?

kawaiineko_gardener, I would recommend that you take the time to understand how the earth-box works.
Thereby you can manage the inputs of medium (the physical properties of), fertilizer (analysis and placement of) and the water replenishment frequency of the reservoir.
Choose the crop, match all the foregoing to its requirements and you will probably be satisfied.
My instincts warn me that okra and beans will need careful consideration but if you can bring those to the table, it will be well worth (in the culinary sense) the effort.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here