Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thujas in containers?

Posted by granburyflowergirl 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 17, 11 at 20:31

Can it be done long term?

I planted 50 Thujas (emerald green arborvitaes) along both of the back yard my property lines a couple years ago in the hopes of growing a privacy fence. They did great until last winter when most of them on one side died for no apparent reason :-(. I think maybe I smothered the roots with too much mulch or possibly the neighbor sprayed round up along the fence-line on a windy day (?)

Anyway, I dug up the few (8) that survived, and put them in temporary pots that blow over constantly. Now I am wondering if I could put them in big heavy pots somewhat permanently and use the dolly to move them as a sort of portable screen. I have seen 7 foot tall ones in pots at Home Depot so I am sure it can be done but what do I need to know? Should I use gritty mix or 5:1:1? How often would they need root pruning/re-potting? Would they need winter protection in zone 7?

Thanks!
Nik

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thujas in containers?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 17, 11 at 23:20

It CAN be done, and they shouldn't need protection in 7, but you'll need to root-prune & repot at least every 3 years to keep them healthy, and no matter how large or heavy the containers are, toppling will always present issues with this plant if you grow it as a screen. I would grow them in the gritty mix, but if they topple .......

Al

o

Thanks Al! You're probably right about the toppling...Maybe I'll just try to find a permanent home for them in ground somewhere.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 18, 11 at 9:42

I think there is less frustration in that direction, Nik. ;-) Good luck, btw.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here