Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Earthbox cover

Posted by JenPeteFL FL (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 6, 12 at 21:00

I'm trying an Earthbox for the first time this spring, and a week after planting in one, I realized that I left the cover off of it. How vital is the cover? If truly necessary, is there anything I can do?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Earthbox cover

JenPeteFL, the cover keeps out weeds by excluding light and trapping seeds.
It also cuts down on evaporation. I have found this to be a 'mixed benefit'; sometimes I have had to top water (under the cover) and on one occasion I found that the medium was too moist for lemon balm Melissa officinalis. I removed the cover.
You can use a mulch. Use something sterile (free from pathogens). If you are unsure, 'cook' it to at least 170°F.
LINK

o

Thanks, Ronalawn. Do I need to worry about rain causing the fertilizer to mix at too high of a concentration and burning the roots of my plants? Mostly bell peppers and hot peppers.

o

JenPeteFL, I doubt it. At first the rain will tend to move the soluble components downwards. Excess solution will escape through the over-flow opening and take the dissolved components with it. There might be trouble if the medium were allowed to dry out after the rain event. The dissolved material in the medium will become concentrated and harm the plant(s). Much of the success of growing plants in the earth-box depends upon using the right medium and fertilizer and keeping to a proper watering schedule.

o

I have been growing in EBs for several years. They have wonderful helps on their site. EB is a closed system and EB does not recommend using it without the cover. I have done it before, but I live in a rainless summer climate, and I still provided a covering of sorts. Rain from the top will wash the ferts away, just as in any other top watered pot. When I have planted large transplants I make my own cover out of trash bags secured with wide office clips.

o

use the cover. everything linda said and its a good way too get gnats laying eggs in your soil. i have 30 plus swc's and none go without the covers.

o

Thanks everyone

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here