Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to repot a Pothos

Posted by zensaiyan (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 07 at 21:00

When should a pothos plant be repotted? I have a large pothos plant, probably 15 ft. vines, and I can barely put a finger into the soil because the roots are so thick. I was wondering if it would be beneficial to repot the plant. The plant remains strictly indoors at all times. When I repot, would it be beneficial to loosen the soil/replace with new soil? I have had this plant for about 5 years and have always top watered. Would this be a problem for the plant? I have read that this can be problematic. Can anyone provide an inexperienced planter with some advice? I greatly appreciate the help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to repot a Pothos

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 28, 07 at 12:09

When should a pothos plant be repotted? Whenever growth is adversely affected because of root-bound conditions, or there is evidence that the soil has failed structurally. These conditions will be evidenced by dying leaves and/or a general slowing of stem extension or a reluctance to extend at all. I have a large pothos plant, probably 15 ft. vines, and I can barely put a finger into the soil because the roots are so thick. I was wondering if it would be beneficial to repot the plant. Yes, of course it would. The plant remains strictly indoors at all times. When I repot, would it be beneficial to loosen the soil/replace with new soil? Remove the root mass & cut the bottom 1/3 of roots off the plant. Then, with a sharp knife or garden scissors, remove another 10-20% of roots around the perimeter of the root mass. Additionally, you can make several vertical scores in the root mass. Remove loose soil & add new as you return to same container, or pot up a size if using a bagged soil. I have had this plant for about 5 years and have always top watered. Would this be a problem for the plant? No. Top watering is superior to wick or bottom watering in that it helps flush accumulating metal/fertilizer salts from the soil, where wick watering does the opposite. You shouled always make sure you're growing in a soil that insures you can water this copiously w/o risking root rot issues from extended periods of saturated soil. I have read that this can be problematic. I would disregard what you read. Sorry, but you'll find much unfounded, anecdotal advice w/o scientific support floating around. Can anyone provide an inexperienced planter with some advice? No. ;o) I greatly appreciate the help.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here