Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sta-Green potting mix alternative

Posted by kaptainkr 4a (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 23, 11 at 21:18

It seems that Lowe's is not carrying the 3 cubic foot bags of Sta-Green potting mix anymore. This is the brand most recommended here regarding quality vs. cost. Are there any other alternatives besides Miracle Gro that don't cost an arm and a leg? One of our local stores carries Green Thumb potting mix. I've never heard of it and my web search hasn't been too helpful. Any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sta-Green potting mix alternative

I've transitioned to Sunshine Mix #4 and am very happy with it.

Photobucket

$28.00 for a compressed 3.8 cubic foot bale here in N. California.

Pro-Mix BX is another good alternative:

Photobucket

Keep in mind that if you use the 3:2:1 Combo Mix for containers, the cost of the Sunshine Mix and Pro-Mix is cut in half.

Raybo

o

Thanks for the response. I found Ferti-lome ultimate potting mix that seems really nice. $18 for three cubic feet. When I made the 3:2:1 mix it looked and felt nice and loose.

o

how often do you water after you put the sra moisture potting mix in your pot

o

how often do you water after you put the sra moisture potting mix in your pot

I'm obviously missing something here, but, what is "sra moisture potting mix?" I don't see anything in the previous posts of this thread that seem to relate to this type of potting mix. :confused:

Holly

o

Hi. Is Sta-Green good for planting raspberries in a container garden? This is the first time I'm doing this and I see that the container mixes are expensive. I need 9 cubic feet so the $18 for 3 cubic feet that was mentioned above would be a lot cheaper than what I've seen so far.

o

Raybo, what do you think of this Pro-Mix? Pro-Mix BRK?

It has bark along with perlite and lime in it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pro-Mix BRK

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here