Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Safe to Transplant Dwarf Conifers into Gritty MIx?

Posted by tillygrower 7b (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 29, 12 at 21:24

I just picked up a few true miniature conifers and I was thinking of keeping them in containers. I've moved other plants in to gritty mix, but I'm worried about doing this with conifers. Even when I plant conifers in the garden, it seems like they really do not like having their roots disturbed. I seem to always get some die back before the plants recover. I've read somewhere that you shouldn't bareroot conifers. Is there an advantage to moving to the gritty mix in stages (using the sequential wedge technique Al describes), or should I bareroot and put them in gritty mix right off the bat? Thanks for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Safe to Transplant Dwarf Conifers into Gritty MIx?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 29, 12 at 21:37

What are you working with? Just the genera is all I need.

Al

o

2 genera: Pinus and Chamaecyparis.

Looking forward to hearing your advice, Al. Thanks.

o

Tilly,

I think you should be fine. It would be best if you can transplant them before they break bud and start to push new growth. I did the same with mine a few weeks back. I attach a link to some pictures in case you're interested.

Alex

Here is a link that might be useful: My conifers after transplant into gritty mix

o

Alex, thanks for the advice and link to your photo.

o

Based on Al's question to me, I am curious if there are certain genera of conifers that predictably tolerate bare-rooting better than others...

o

Tilly,
I find that most conifers tolerate bare-rooting quite well.
The key is to bare-root and re-pot during the proper time of year (or, rather, plant activity).
In general, I re-pot my conifers in late Winter before the buds begin to break/move. I have re-potted
Pines, Cedar, Calocedrus, Cypress, Sequoia, Picea, Yew, and Cryptomeria without any problem at all.

Josh

o

Josh,

Given the season and temps (90 here today!), would you suggest I up-pot them into a traditional (probably peat-based) potting soil for now, and wait until next late winter to bare-root and move them to gritty mix?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here