Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Smart Pots - fabric they use?

Posted by knoxvillegardener 7a (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 16, 10 at 21:32

Has anyone figured out which specific fabric material Smart Pots are made from? If so, where can it be ordered from?

In addition to ordering some Smart Pots, I'm also interested in constructing some containers of my own due to their shape and size being rather different from what's available from the company that makes the Smart Pots.

(FYI: Yes, I realize they say Smart Pots are patented. However, they started making them around 30 years ago and patents expire after 17 years. Also, the patent numbers they list are mostly quite old, if you are familiar with patent numbers. So no, I don't plan to break any laws and am pretty sure I won't be doing so if I make my own fabric container.)

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Smart Pots - fabric they use?

There is a great thread on this whole subject here and even has instructions. Those pots are made out of landscape fabric, and they have a fuzzy side. The fabric is NOT cheap!! Depending on how many you need, you might want to just buy the pots from them or other manufacturers.

You could google, RootMaker, Treepots, Groove Tube Growing System.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread on Fabric Containers

o

DesertDance,

Thanks for pointing me to that thread.

I do plan to buy from the manufacturer and that's mostly what I'll do.

It's just that there are some sizes and shapes that they don't make that I would like to have. For these custom sizes and shapes, the numbers involved are small so it's probably not cost-effective to have them make these as a custom order.

Thanks again!

o

Automakers need to stay alert to compete in a worldwide industry. Staying at the top of current technology is one way automakers try to stay relevant. However, as our cars learn to do increasingly more things, they need more controls and instrumentation. Touchscreens have become commonplace as a way to handle dashboard crowding. BMW, however, is considering a different tack: smart fabrics that become touch-sensitive pads. Smart fabric may be used in future BMW models. Smart fabrics, also known as e-textiles, are fabrics woven with digital components. The fabric is made of woven flexible, and is similar to Teflon, according to C:Net. While the technology is not ground-breaking, it has been refined to a great degree in order to reliably control a range of functions. The fabric is sensitive to different types of touches.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here