Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
micropachysaurus

Tote bin raised beds?!?!?

Micropachysaurus
9 years ago

Hello, this year I am thinking of using 38L plastic tote bins as raised beds. My idea was to cut off the bottoms, and then to dig up a square area of grass, and then fill of the bins with compost and soil and then plant stuff in them. I am new to raised beds so, is my idea good? Will it work? ( I don't want to use wood because I suck at building stuff, lol)

Comments (20)

• johns.coastal.patio
    9 years ago

I might use the totes for container gardening, but I'd lean toward something else for raised beds. I think they'd become unstable, break down, with the bottom gone.

If you search "cedar raised bed kit" you can see a lot of things that, per square foot, might beat the totes on price. Home Depot had a 4 foot by 4 foot kit on sale for $40. Assuming you live near a kit seller ... it might not be hard to assemble.

• gardenper
    9 years ago

I think it's fine, as long as you know it might not last as much as even the cheap wooden raised beds. Also, I would not know about the plastic stuff in totes without more research, so I might just grow flowers there, not vegetables.

Also, in case height is a stability issue, then maybe you could cut it in half. That way, it adds more stability and you don't need to fill it up as much!

• johns.coastal.patio
    9 years ago

A 5 gallon bucket, with the bottom removed, and punched down into the soil might do what you want too. Cutting deeper it might be better at keeping grass roots at bay.

• centexan254 zone 8 Temple, Tx
    9 years ago

I would use 5-1-1 mix, or potting mix in a tote. The thing is even though the bottom is open there is still the compacting problems to deal with. I tried it with a high sided crate that was 18 inches tall. The plant did great at first. Then when the compaction started it got root bound real bad.

• Micropachysaurus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for answering everyone, I guess I should do more research on the chemicals and stuff. How long do you think these bins would last? I mean if I did them... I will be graduating high school in two years, so really they would only have to last that long.

• Micropachysaurus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And also I would be growing edibles, but also some flowers. Mostly tomatoes, various melons and lots of cucumbers ( I bought 12 varieties!!!! ) my concern is that the melons still wouldn't have enough root space, although I would dig the soil beneath the bins

• DHLCAL
    9 years ago

- To me, the thing about using a tote bin with bottom removed is that the four remaining sides may have a hard time holding its rectangular shape, especially if the sides are not thick/strong enough and the walls are tall. The weight of the soil/growing medium inside will push outward and bend or even break the sides.

- Perhaps a better choice for making a "bottomless container raised bed" is something round, like a bucket as pictured below:

http://cdn4.beveragefactory.com/tn2_large_r4219-brute091809155228.jpg

• Micropachysaurus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ahhh, I see your point now. Maybe I will try the buckets with the bottoms cut out, as it might work better. Thank you :)

• DHLCAL
    9 years ago

Have you considered fabric containers sold by various makers as Smart Pots and the like? They come in all sizes, going from 1 gallon up to 400 gallon. These do have bottoms but because of the wicking property of the material act more like a bottomless raised bed with regard to water retention.

Also, I don't think that they are much more expensive than a plastic tote on a per gallon (or liter) basis.

• Micropachysaurus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mmm, interesting. I will do more research I suppose, but those smart pots sound like a good idea

• johns.coastal.patio
    9 years ago

I'm thinking of going for the nursery style grow bags, white plastic, cheap.

Fun video here:

Here is a link that might be useful: The Mobile Grow Bag Garden

• Micropachysaurus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@ mari66, aww your garden is so awesome. :) What I have now decided might work is if I use 5 gallon buckets and then use them as raised beds, by just cutting off the bottom. My question is would the plants roots go down the bucket and into the ground( mainly the melons) would this be more beneficial over just planting them in the ground?

• johns.coastal.patio
    9 years ago

There is a rule (Rule 43) that you can find anything on the internet. Anything you can think of, someone has done it. Growing vetetables in lawns follows that pattern. Every way is out there, and probably has a video.

FWIW, here is a guy who does the "bottomless bucket" thing, but of course as you say, many people do mounds (hole dug and then filled back with soil and compost) as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Tomato Race

• johns.coastal.patio
    9 years ago

(I should mention that tomatoes are one of the few plants that you can add soil to after planting. For a melon you'd want to set the soil/compost level where you want it at the beginning.)

• Micropachysaurus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I suppose you can find anything on the internet... I did more research, and I think I will do the buckets instead of the tote bins :) thanks everyone for your help, it was really appreciated

• mari66
    9 years ago

Well I am learning also
    -and need to improvise - I did buy a dollar store oval planter smashed out the bottom -it was like 6-8 inches high and put it few inches down in garden -for flowers - never figured that cheap thing would last well this is 4 yrs
    so cutting the bottom -placing it on tilled soil- does work-
    THANKS FORTHE IDEA FOR MY BLACK POTS- just getting them ready for this season
    Happy planting Mari

• mari66
    9 years ago

Hi
    so glad to find this site and getting more ideas and since I am cleaning pots to fill for this year --gathering my seedlings and hoping it warms up soon
    My cheap plastic plant pot it just starting to crack around the edge-- few pictures I took yest.
    would love to see pictures of all your gardens and raised beds-- my little bed is starting to buckle -hope it goes a few
    years more
    Have a wonderful day -bright and sunny
    Mari
    PS how does one post more than one photo ???

• mari66
    9 years ago

sunken pot- bottom cut out -flowers grow well when summer comes !!!!!!!!!

• Rebecca Lozano
    3 years ago

Ok so I you are planting in the ground anyways then what is the point of the plastic containers with the bottoms cut