Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recycled containers question.

Posted by gardenman101 Z6 Spingfield, Ma (gardenman101@aol.com) on
Sat, Apr 14, 12 at 21:41

I have access to some cantianers at work, they are 5gal containers. I was thinking of using them to grow hot peppers and eggplanrs. The only issue is they contained some chemicals in them. My question is can they be cleaned with anything to make them usable? I ask, cus we throw tons of them away, and containers can get a bit pricey. If i cant use them so be it, but free is nice..lol, ty for any advice. I do have some regular 5gal painters buckets i use as well as totes (30gal with holes drilled in them) But like I said free would be nice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recycled containers question.

It depends on what chemicals were in them. Do you know? If you don't, then pass as free might poison you.

o

Yea, the chem is listed as corrosive, but wasnt sure weather A) They could be cleaned and B) Becuase they aremade of plastic weather the can or cant absorb the chemicals. Well if im going to use them its just for flowers. Thanks for the quick response.

o
For flowers it might be okay if....

Clean them real good and sanitize with some bleach dilution. If for flowers only, it might be just fine. For vegs, maybe not. Good luck and show us some beautiful flowers in a couple of months. lol

o

Will do. I dont think that I will attempt any kinda Veggies in them, so flowers it will be.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here