Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jodik_gw

For Mike - Charlie Update! & They Could Be In Containers 3

jodik_gw
13 years ago

Mike asked for an update on Charlie, the little brown goat that was born out in the snow earlier this year, and I was going to attach it to the last "for fun" thread of photos, but since not everyone can load all these pictures for viewing easily... well, here they are!

Charlie is doing very good, and as big as he's getting, momma is still letting him suckle and taking excellent care of him. He follows her around all day, from morning feeding in the barn, until it's time to come back inside for the night.

Here he is, trying for a meal from mom, who's kind of short...

{{gwi:24913}}

In keeping with the critter photos, here's one of the horses, grazing serenely in the pasture... this is my view when I'm out working in the rose beds...

{{gwi:24914}}

{{gwi:24915}}

A little blurry, but the pink Magnolia...

{{gwi:24916}}

Much clearer, but open all the way, and on its way out...

{{gwi:24917}}

Purple Trillium...

{{gwi:24918}}

The beauty of purple/blue Hyacinths... the scent is heady!

{{gwi:24919}}

{{gwi:24920}}

{{gwi:24921}}

A closeup of the very beautiful Daffodil with unusual petal configuration...

{{gwi:24922}}

The leaves of "Alchemyst" coming along nicely...

{{gwi:24924}}

"Therese Bugnet" is growing well, also...

{{gwi:24926}}

A row of white "Thalia" Daffodils preparing to open... what a sight it will be!

{{gwi:24928}}

The heavy blooms of double Daffodils could really use a support ring...

{{gwi:24930}}

{{gwi:24932}}

Miscellaneous Daffodil varieties...

{{gwi:24934}}

{{gwi:24936}}

{{gwi:24938}}

The red of a lovely Tulip variety...

{{gwi:24939}}

And the red stripes on the outer side of another variety...

{{gwi:24940}}

And finally, the sun setting behind the old cemetery across the road...

{{gwi:24941}}

I hope you enjoyed the latest walk around the farm and yards! Stay tuned... lots more to come as the season advances!

Happy Gardening!

Comments (53)

• jojosplants
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks Jodi!
    Mike will see this when he gets home. ;-)

I love all the pictures!! Charlie has grown so much! And so cute trying to steal a snack! lol..

Everything is so beautiful! I love the daffodil with the unusual petals!

I couldn't just sit back and take photos of those horses, i'd have to be riding one! lol.. I love horses!

I love seeing what my friends are up to! Thanks so much for posting these!

Al~ That's a great movie! One of the very FEW I will actually watch!

It was cold, wet, and dreary here all weekend. But we will climb back up into the 80's next week.

I'm glad your getting your spring!

JoJo

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

And boy, do we have catching up to do!!!!

I can't seem to keep my but out of the house lately. It finally reached 60 today and that sun feels heavenly. I finally got a sec to remember that I have not been here for a while and then I saw this most splendid thread.

Thank Jodik for thinking of me, us! Oh, I feel like that little Charlie is a part of me and that I should play with him. I also feel like I should take a walk amongst all that beauty! Jodik, between your container plants and the ones around your yard, well I just don't know what to say.

That little guy is just so cute, and it is no wonder that his Mom doesn't mind him following her around everywhere. I wonder how long she will put up with that though?

Look at those hyacinths! I Just love them. Mine are starting to peek through the soil finally. I noticed today as I was taking all of my container plants out of the pop up and placing them on what I thought was bare ground. I love those daffodils too. You have the most amazing plants there. I never saw a double flowered one. I hope I can find some this year.

Look at that view while you take care of your roses. Oh, I just wish I could live somewhere other than near a city. I remember when Josh posted his area too. It just seems so peaceful and serene.

Mom says let her visit for a while and she will just sip her coffee out on a lawn chair somewhere and read her favorite book surround by birds and those flowers..

Those tombstones look very old? Dated what?

Happy gardening to you to and if I get a chance to take pics of my container plants outside now or my outside plants, I will be back to post them.

Hello Al and Al.

Thank you again for the update Jodik:-))))))

Mike

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Hello everyone, a happy Sunday to you!

These pics are very nice to see. I love the outdoors!

Jodi, I really like that planting of Hyacinth right against the rock.
    Also, you've just helped me identify a Trillium that I've been following for over a year...
    it grows wild along a trail that I hike, and I've been curious as to its name.
    Thanks!

Josh

• andrewofthelemon
    13 years ago

Wow, nice goat...I would love to live in a place where i could watch things like that everyday...city gets old...

I GOT BLOOMED!

MY remaining citrus from (what i call) the brother disaster (my brother poured tar laced water into all my plants, killing all but small meyer).....
    has had several bloom buds on them (BIG AND PURPLE) and today, one opened! it smells like honeysuckle, only times 8.

it is outside, but i had to bring it inside for a while just so that the house would smell like that L)
    Andrew

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, everyone! It's my pleasure to share it all with you! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I've lived in the city, the suburbs, and way out in the boonies... and I'll take the boonies any day of the week! It might be a little inconvenient when it's time to shop and resupply, but it's a small price to pay for all this beauty, all this peacefulness, all this nature! :-)

I haven't been on a horse in a while, and though I do enjoy riding, I'm a little afraid I'll fall! I'm content to watch them, and visit with them in the barn. They're all very well trained, three having come from the racetrack, and the other two trained in different venues, like rodeo events or jumping, or that sort of thing.

The goats are so fun to watch! There's quite a little herd building up, with a few females and their young, plus others of varying ages. They're very surefooted and athletic, jumping all over the place! I'm not really familiar with goats, so I couldn't say what types we have here, but I do enjoy watching them play... and they'll make good fertilizer for the gardens!

Mike, it would be really nice if you and Mom could come for a weekend vacation... I'm sure Mom would love to see the roses in full bloom, and all the animals... maybe some day you'll get out our way! That would be nice! :-)

Josh, I'm not sure of the exact variety name on the Trillium... shade plants aren't really my thing, but my gardening partner is a Hosta freak, and she loves shade plants. Needless to say, we have many Hosta types, Ferns, and other shade loving plants.

Today was beautiful, just like yesterday... warm temperatures, the sun shining, a nice breeze blowing. But now, it looks like some heavy storms are moving in. I've wanted to get out there and begin moving pots around, do some raking and debris cleanup, but I've had a heck of a week with my disease, lupus, and I'm not in any shape to go over working my body right now. I hope I feel good enough to work by next week. I have so much to do!

The graveyard across the road is very old, Mike. There are headstones dating back to the early 1800's, possibly even the late 1700's. I'd have to go look, but I know some are very, very old. Lots of veterans, victims of influenza, young people, children... on Veterans Day and Memorial Day, several people stop by and pay respects. I actually captured something strange in a photograph of that place once... it looks like the image of a child, but there was no one there at the time I took the picture... like a ghost. I can't explain it... I've tried. I'll see if I can find the picture...

Andrew, I have yet to try growing citrus, but one of these days I'll cave in and get a lemon or an orange tree to try. I keep hearing about how beautiful the flowers are, and how nice they smell!

Well... here's wishing spring weather stays for a while... so we can all enjoy a little bit of the warmth, sun, and the freshness of an earth being reborn!

Thanks again, everyone... happy growing! :-)

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

But wait! There's more!

Yes... I took another turn about the yards today, before I dove into gardening chores, and managed to capture a few photos I think you might like... enjoy!

This little guy was born a few days ago... his name is Mocha! That's mom hovering over him...
    {{gwi:24942}}

Here's another little guy, inside the barn with mom...
    {{gwi:24943}}

And outside with mom...
    {{gwi:24944}}

Here he is checking out some grain with a couple of goat friends...
    {{gwi:24945}}

Another mom and youngster, with the horses in the background...
    {{gwi:24946}}

A few other herd members... Charlie on the left, his back turned...
    {{gwi:24947}}

Finally... I was able to capture the male peacock in all his colorful glory!
    {{gwi:24948}}

The border of Thalia Daffodils beginning to open...
    {{gwi:24950}}

They're so pretty, so delicate looking!
    {{gwi:24951}}

Peach colored Daffodils...
    {{gwi:24952}}

The first blooms of Creeping Phlox...
    {{gwi:24953}}

I can't recall the variety name, but here's a lovely Heuchera, more commonly known as Coral Bells...
    {{gwi:24954}}

The Tulips are moving right along... a lovely white...
    {{gwi:24955}}

A bright yellow...
    {{gwi:24956}}

A tiny little red...
    {{gwi:24957}}

Yes, it's really tiny!
    {{gwi:24958}}

Almost red, with a hint of pink...
    {{gwi:24959}}

Now, that's pink!
    {{gwi:24960}}

Mixed plantings of Tulips and Daffodils, in pinks and yellows...
    {{gwi:24961}}

As close to red, white, and blue as we could get... Hyacinths... the scent is wonderful!
    {{gwi:24962}}

The Trillium are open now!
    {{gwi:24963}}

The gorgeous buds of a Redbud, I believe...
    {{gwi:24964}}

And finally, a look at the new long rose bed, with Tulips and Alliums inter planted... it should look lovely soon.
    {{gwi:24965}}

I hope you enjoyed walking with me around the property, checking out the flora and fauna... stay tuned... there's lots more to come!

Happy Gardening! :-)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    13 years ago

Hello Everyone...

Jodik...Beautiful pictures!!

Thank you for the lovely tour...always enjoy seeing the different animals, flowers and horses!!!

That peacock really posed for you...funny how he has so much beauty to display...he's really trying to attract some attention... ( and doing a fine job i might add...LOL..)

Mocha is such a cutie...

I really enjoyed the pic of the cemetery...i love those old graveyards...love to know the interesting stories behind all of the years past....

If you have that photo of the child...please email or post...i have taken some shots myself at certain places..have an interest in the pics like that!!!

Hope all is well with you and your family...

Thanks again for all of the wonderful pics..those blooms are quite beautiful....

Take care everyone..

Laura in VB

13 years ago

Jodik.......Im so sorry to hear that you not feeling well...

Hope you are felling better soon...

Laura in VB

13 years ago

Oh, Jodi, the goats are wonderful!
    Thanks for taking a turn about the herd!
    Mocha has the perfect coat.

Your peach Daffodils are my favorites, as you know!

I think the Trillium I've been following might be the same variety as you've shown.
    The leaf-pattern isn't quite as distinct, but the flower is that bloody purple color.
    Thanks again,

Josh

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Look closely, directly to the right of the Red Peonies toward the left side of the photograph... there's a white image shaped like a little girl in a nightgown. See it?

That shape is not part of the cemetery. It's not there when you walk through it in person.

The creepy part is that right in that area, there's a headstone for the grave of a little girl, aged around 5-8, who died of influenza, I believe.

It's my pleasure to share my surroundings and my enjoyment of gardening with everyone! I'm glad you liked the photos!

It's breeding season for the fowl, which is probably why I was able to finally get a photo of his tail feathers displayed so nicely. He rattles his tail while it's extended like that, to attract the females. Funny... the male turkey does the same thing, only he puffs up all his feathers and rattles his tail!

The ducks are laying eggs, so we should have some fuzzy little yellow babies relatively soon. A few female Muscovy ducks are sitting on nests.

Josh, the Trillium we have is probably a very close relative to what grows in the wild... I can't remember where we got these, but I think it might have been from an ebay seller, so for all I know, these are native. They sure are unique and pretty!

Mocha and the other baby goats are so much fun to watch! They run and jump and hop like little bunnies, bouncing off the walls like children who consumed too much sugar! It's hilarious! And it's amazing to watch how closely each mom watches her young... they're very protective and maternal.

Mocha's coat is a lovely coffee latte color, and the other babies are either silver/gray, white and brown, fluffy beige, and combinations... and some have the softest cashmere fur! But it is where cashmere and mohair come from, I'm told. A couple have curly hair resembling poodle fur!

As the days slip past, the gardens come alive more and more, the usual plants blooming in sequence. The Lilacs will open soon, and more Tulips will make an appearance. The roses are all greening up, and even the ones that died back to the ground are showing promise! My potted Japanese Maples are budding, and a potted Magnolia has a fat flower bud beginning to open! Spring is really shaping up nicely!

Thanks for accompanying me on another tour of my yard... it's more fun when you all come with! :-)

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Oh, I just love magnolia trees! Messy, but so beautiful so early in the season!

I also love those goats! I love that color. My mother says that when you give them a haircut, and then spin the coat into yarn, she would gladly knit you some more slippers!

I see that girl. That is bazaar. Is she their all the time? Just strange Jodi.
    I too have a fascination with tombs and their ages. I always have since a kid and always wondered what it was like in the time all those people lived.
    Have you ever seen the movie, Gangs Of New York?

Those pics are so beautiful Jodi. I love them all! I just can't seem to get my hands on any of those types of bulbs I see. All they sell here is regular Daffodils. Yours are so different and I too love the peach. I saw the area for the roses. Wow you are going to have fun.

Do you feed your birds differently for the breeding season? That I know can be a lot of work. I had to make sure my birds were fed lot's of protein and calcium for baby and egg production. They are so pretty.

Thank you and looking forward to many more pics. I hope you are feeling much better today my wonderful friend!

I will be back looking for more:-))))

Hi Josh! That is the first time I see a trillium. I never knew of these plants. Quite interesting. You should post a picture of how nice and green your grass is. It is so fine my man! A few moss pictures would also go along with the theme and this wonderful thread.

Hi Laura! How are you? I am going to take a walk to the plumeria side as soon as I get more time. I hear your plumes got tip damage? That stinks. So far mine are doing ok. I finally have one that popped and inflo! Yahoo...
    I will have to take some pics when I can. I was almost tempted to do the egg thing, but not sure on that one.
    You should see the DR you sent me. Another couple of weeks of warm sun and I will post it for you all to see:-)
    Miss you around these parts lately.

Hi Jojo!:-)))))

HI Al and Al!

Mike:-0)))))

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No, Mike... that's the strange thing. That photo is the only time we've ever seen the little girl's form, and the only proof that we saw it. It's not there any other time. I only captured it the once.

We do feed the aviary a bit different seasonally. We actually give them dog kibble as a protein source, and since cheap kibble contains a lot of corn and other grains, they have no trouble digesting. We also give them grit and oyster shell to help egg production, along with their regular feeding of grains, seeds, etc... and, they get hay and fresh cut green chop to pick through.

All the animals here are fed well... even the cats, which are supposed to be hunting for part of their diet!

Mike, you should be able to find all of the same Daffodil and bulbs types... you just need to Google "spring blooming bulbs" and subscribe to several catalogs. John Scheeper's is a good company, as are Easy To Grow Bulbs, Nature Hills, Willow Creek Gardens, etc... there are tons of bulb companies!

We also get our bulbs locally at places like Lowe's, Sam's Club, Home Depot, the local garden center, etc... we purchase in the fall so we can get them in the ground for blooms the following spring.

Well... I'm off to get more done out there! Have a great day, everyone! :-)

13 years ago

Hey, guys and gals! ;-)

Mike, I'll try and get some mossy pics to share.

Jodi, the ghostly girl looks to be a headstone or monument, with a stone
    in the distance forming her head. I really like the picture.

Josh

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It does look to be a monument... but when you walk the cemetery, there isn't one in that position. Larry and I have both walked the cemetery trying to figure out what angle and stone configuration made the image look that way... but there isn't a monument there. And there's nothing that would make a reflection, either.

When you stand in that position, and look down to your left, you see a flat headstone engraved with a girl's name and dates of birth and death, making her about 5 or so when she died. There are a lot of deaths for that year, so we figure an influenza swept through.

I'm really not kidding, Josh... there's nothing in that position. Larry and I are both skeptical, logical, non-religious adults... and we can't figure it out. It hasn't appeared in any other photo I've taken of the cemetery... just that one. I've taken tons of pictures of that area... it looks beautiful in winter with snow, eerie in fog, and pretty with the sun setting behind it... and there are lovely Peonies and Yucca that bloom every year. But there is no monument in that position.

I know... it sounds like a tall tale... come visit... you'll see. :-)

Mike, that Star Magnolia is opening today, so I'll be photographing it... it's really lovely!

And thanks, Laura... I feel better now that the weather has stabilized somewhat. I have no control over the symptoms I experience with lupus, but warmer weather does help the bone pain a bit. It's one of the reasons I hate winter so much... it hurts! :-)

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Hi Jodi.

I wanted to send you a shout and tell you to have a great day!:-000000000000000000000)

Funny, people here at work saw this picture and thought the same thing that Josh did.
    And then again, I work with a person that does Wicka, and she says it is quite possible it could be something....Hummm

Oh, you have to capture that Magnolia when it pops, please!
    I just love them since I have a white one. I particulary like the pink one too, hard to purchase around here.
    I could probably purchase one at a specialty nursery this weekend. Too bad the flowers only last as dew does on a soon to be hot sunny day!

Thanks for that info on the bulbs! I am going to plan a mass planting come this fall and now I am armed with some good info and contacts thanks to you;-)

I hear you about the food you feed the animals. I forgot about the greens too. Oh yes, I was feeding my birds Romaine lettuce like no tomorrow! They love greens. Not iceburg lettuce though, since you and I know it serves no purpose in nutrition and can actually cause death.

I Love those baby goats above once again. So cute! Are they as stubborn as many say they are? hard to control like independant cats?

Joh: Yes, you know how much we LOVE moss around this forum! I am so amazed at the greenery in your neck of the woods. Considering that your yard is one of the prettiest I have seen, along with all your beautiful potted plants in the mix, if I were a deer, I would crawl up to your house to curl up and die if I was on my last leg too!
    Your yard view would give any creature a heavenly dream.
    I hope your weather allows you to put a few of your container plants outdoors today:-)

By the way: How in the world does one keep a mouse out of their pots!!!!!!!!? I didn't think I had any in my home, since it is so clean, but yes sir, I do after I found dirt on the floor next to my plants with a hole in the pot! Just wonderful....

Jodi: I am going to a bird mart this weekend to look for a 'Green Singing Finch', expensive I know. Do you have any suggestions what to watch out for at one of these? Do you think it would be safe to set it free in my plant room as long as the door is shut tight? What's your thoughts on this matter?

Mom is waving at you and also send her love to you and her other friends here.

Mike:-)))))))))

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mike, I would set a mouse trap or two in various corners... mice tend to seek out places to gather nesting materials, to nest and eat, so a good spot for a trap is in the pantry, next to or behind the stove, and in corners where you have plants. I've had them dig in my potted plants, too.

Cleanliness has nothing to do with whether or not you have mice. They sneak in regardless of how clean your house is. If you don't mind using a poison, the very best one we've found on the retail market is Hawk rodent poison. I buy the buckets of pellets in envelopes. The mice chew through the envelope to eat the pellets, and it does something to dry up the carcass insides, because we never smell them... as you would if you used D-con or one of the other poisons. And Hawk has no carry over, so if a cat eats a poisoned mouse carcass, it won't harm the cat. We keep injectable Vitamin K in the fridge, though... just in case. It coagulates the blood, which counteracts the poison.

I suppose I should add a disclaimer: don't mess around with poisons or counteractive measures unless you know what you're doing... call a poison control center in emergency situations. There.

We also give the birds leftover fruits and veggies from the crisper drawer. When we go shopping and bring home fresh produce, all the leftovers from the last grocery trip go to the aviary. They love cherry tomatoes and apples, oranges and wilted spinach! They're not very picky!

Some goat types tend to be stubborn, but the ones here are very gentle and compliant. Most domesticated farm animals are docile, and creatures of habit by nature... so once we have them in a routine of feeding schedules and barn versus pasture time, they fall right in line. In the morning, they all get fed their grain portion, then they follow us out of the barn and into the gated pasture. As the sun begins to set, they know it's time to go back inside the barn, and then they get their evening grain portion and their hay. We rarely have an incident where an animal doesn't abide by the schedule. Breeding season is a bit active, and that's when any discrepancies happen. ;-)

Parrots and other pet bird types aren't exactly like farm fowl, Mike. First, I would definitely quarantine any newly purchased birds from other pets, until you know for sure the new one is healthy and not a carrier of any disease or mites or parasites. Before purchasing, I'd be sure I knew all about the bird variety I was interested in. I'd also look into the plant types I had to be sure none are poisonous to birds.

If I'm not mistaken, Avocado plants are toxic to birds. I'm not sure what other plants types should be avoided, but I would definitely look into it before releasing an animal into a plant room.

I know that teflon fumes are toxic to parrots, so it's important to keep from burning any teflon coated pans if you keep parrots/birds. In fact, when I kept parrots, I got rid of all my old cookware and got different pans without teflon coating. Birds are delicate creatures, and keeping them as pets requires a certain amount of planning and knowledge. JoJo is probably better equipped to answer any bird questions, but my immediate reaction would be, no... do not bring home a new bird and set it free in your plant room. Research your plants first, and put any new birds through a period of quarantine. A vet visit wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

There are tons of companies that import and sell or raise spring and fall blooming bulbs... some of your cheaper places are Breck's, Van Bourgondien, Dutch Gardens, I think... there are literally tons! A quick Google should net you a lot of results, and you can decide which ones you want to order from... if you can't locate what you want locally. The cheaper places tend to sell smaller bulbs, but if you don't mind waiting a couple of years for them to mature and multiply, you can get more for your dollars. Some bulbs can be costly, depending on variety and where you get them, but if you want faster results, be prepared to spend a little more for top grade bulbs.

I believe we got the Magnolia starts from an online source... probably Ebay. We buy a lot of perennials and filler/companion plants for the roses through Ebay. We originally got 2 white Star Magnolias, and 2 of the pink tinted variety, and I planted one of each last year. A rabbit or some critter chomped the white Star one right off at ground level. I'm glad I kept one of each in pots.

We've looked and looked, but we can't find any monument that appears as the little girl in a nightgown. I believe it could be an image of a spirit or ghost... not everything in life can be explained, and that's ok with me. Life is a journey through which we search for the answers to our questions... but we don't necessarily need or find all the answers. Some things are ok as they are. What would life be without a little mystery? :-)

Well... it's once again time to make the donuts, as they say... have a lovely day, everyone!

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone!
    Jodi,
    The goats are all just adorable! We really like the little one with the dark knees! And little mocha is a cutie too! I would never get any work done , i'd be out there playing with them or ridding a horse. lol.!

I love all the flowers too! The Trillium are really different and neat! Something tells me it wouldn't be happy here though.

So the stubborn peacock finally showed his plume.. and what a sight! Wow!!!! I've seen pure white ones too.. Beautiful birds.

Thanks for all the pictures!

Did I hear Josh say he might have some moss pictures for us?? Hint.. Hint... Another plant I love that would not survive here. ;-)

Have a great day !! I'll look in later.
    JoJo

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone!
    I hope your all well!

I had a few pics to share.

First,
    Some simple beauty, that I hope will bring a smile to someone.

{{gwi:24966}}

{{gwi:24968}}

And for a laugh, here's a common sight around here. Almost everyone has these..lol...

{{gwi:24970}}

It's growing in my rain gutter! LOL!

And here's a fun bloom on a little cactus I got last summer. It smells like citrus!

{{gwi:24971}}

{{gwi:24972}}

JoJo

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Neat, JoJo! I love that little green cactus flower! That is so cool! I've never seen one that color!

I love the cacti growing in the rain gutter, too... very cool! And that rose... what a color! Simply gorgeous! Does it have a scent?

Great pictures, JoJo, thanks! I took some updates, myself, but haven't had time to upload them from my camera. We had some bad storms move through with a ton of rain, and the basement flooded... it's a mess! The last thing on my mind today was uploading pictures!

I spent some time outside, battening down the hatches in anticipation of the weather... and then Old Guy and I spent the evening pumping water out of the basement! The new automatic sump hasn't been installed yet, so we have to use one that requires watching, so it doesn't clog, and so we can unplug it when the water level drops.

All the animals spent the day inside... the barn or kennel. This time of year, we're always watching the weather... so we knew it would rain. We wanted to make sure all the goats and everyone stayed dry and comfy.

I'll try to get pictures up tomorrow... if I get a chance!

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Hi Jodi~
    The cactus in the gutter are funny! I have prickly pear at the other end . I do need to get them out soon. They will grow to the point of ruining the gutter, and I've seen some get so big , the awning starts to collapse.

The little rose doesn't have much scent, or a name. It was left over from Valentines Day, wal mart clearance. It's come a long way, it was a mess when I got them. But for 50 cents. why not. ;-) I put it in a great mix, and it just took off! ;-)

I just love the green flower too! Like you, all kinds! I wish the cactus bloomed more often though. That one bloom is most likely all I'll get for the season. ;-(

I hope your drying out now! Sounds like today will be a nice day for you! I hope it is!!

I need to get motivated now and get outside myself.

I hope everyone has a great day!

JoJocolor>

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Hi everyone!
    I hope your all doing well!

Josh~ Moss pictures?? No pressure..;-) Just wondering where they are. lol..

Here's a cutie from last season. It's one of my sons plants.
    I could swear the little guy is smiling.

{{gwi:24973}}

Josh,
    The daisy picture above was taken in between rains and I couldn't help but think of you. I remember you dodging storms to get some of your citrus not too long ago. lol.. boy, what we will do for a picture. ;-)

JJcolor>

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

If we don't keep the gutters cleared here, tiny tree seedlings try to take root. I doubt they'd survive long, but still... it inhibits the proper flow of rainwater, which can eventually lead to problems. I do like the look of the cacti growing there, though... very cute!

Well, I did promise more pictures... and I've finally got them ready to post! Without further adieu, here they are...

For Mike... the Magnolia I still have in a pot...
    {{gwi:24975}}

And for JoJo, the green tint of Vridiflora Tulips!
    {{gwi:24977}}

Here's my red Japanese Maple... just beginning to bud... it desperately needs re-potting!
    {{gwi:24979}}

The Lilacs are blooming!
    {{gwi:24980}}

The Fuji Apple tree is in bud!
    {{gwi:24981}}

Little miniature Iris are starting to pop!
    {{gwi:24982}}

The dark blood red of a Parrot Tulip...
    {{gwi:24983}}

These are some of the my favorites... the burgundy and yellow of Gavota Tulips...
    {{gwi:24984}}

These are the red Darwins in the new rose beds!
    {{gwi:24985}}

{{gwi:24986}}

{{gwi:24987}}

And a few other types and colors...
    {{gwi:24988}}

{{gwi:24989}}

{{gwi:24990}}

And for Josh, a couple of shots of borders, both brick and stone...
    {{gwi:24992}}

{{gwi:24994}}

More double Daffodils opening in front of St. Francis...
    {{gwi:24996}}

Fern leaf Dicentra...
    {{gwi:24997}}

Here's the glass house...
    {{gwi:24999}}

Inside, showing the shelving...
    {{gwi:25001}}

A shot of the sidewalk beds and part of the new rose beds...
    {{gwi:25003}}

And finally, a peach tinted Daffodil, and a small later variety...
    {{gwi:25004}}

{{gwi:25005}}

Oh, wait! I almost forgot to show you the entrance to my fenced in work area around the little greenhouse... it has a gate, and I've got roses planted inside the area. I plan on making it a nice little place with a bench to come relax and read, or just enjoy the gardens... I'm already piling flagstone and rocks in the corners, planning other plantings... and I've got to get that grass cut!
    {{gwi:25006}}

I hope you all enjoyed walking around the yard and gardens with me! There will be more as the season progresses!

Happy Gardening!

13 years ago

Thanks, JoJo!
    And thanks for the 'reminder,' too ;-)
    I have a few random pics...just had to wait for Photobucket to reset my bandwidth.
    Let me do some uploading....

Jodi, such unique Tulips. I love the dark colors especially!
    Plus, your glasshouse is seriously awesome. What a cool place to hang out.
    Your Lilacs are ahead of mine, can you believe it! I've seen other Lilacs blooming
    in the area, but I have a microclimate in my yard that is apparently colder than the
    average yard around here.

Our Dicentras are fairly close in timing. Mine have made a nice carpet around the Redwoods.
    I often joke that those are the only Bleeding Hearts allowed on my property ;-)

Josh

13 years ago

I'll have to take more moss pics specifically....

But, in the meantime, I hope that these will suffice ;-)

Here's the State flower in the back yard, and a shot of a Western Sword fern (a bit of moss, too):

{{gwi:25007}}

{{gwi:25008}}

Josh

13 years ago

Nice and cloudy today, so the lighting is just about perfect for outdoor pics....

{{gwi:25009}}

{{gwi:25010}}

{{gwi:25011}}

{{gwi:25012}}

{{gwi:25013}}

Josh

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone!
    I love all the new pictures!
    Jodi~ That greenish tulip is beautiful! It's funny to think of a green flower being pretty when growing with green, but it really is! At least I think so. :-)

I can't wait to see the "hide away" area when it's done! That is so neat!
    If I had an area like that, my family would never see me again. lol!

That glass house is great too!
    My mom loves Iris. I have never seen a mini before. I may get me some this season. Are the mini fragrant?

There's so many beautiful colors in your yard!

Josh~
    Thank you! :-)
    I love all the pictures!
    Boy those jumps up sure put on a show! And I love all the color and textures with all the leaves, on the ground and the ferns. It' all blends so peacefully!

The poppies sure are a burst of color too! I've grown them. Have you ever been near when a seed pod pops! Boy those seeds fly! lol!

And cant forget the moss! It is all wonderful!

Thanks for sharing all your pictures guys!

JoJo

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Beautiful, Josh! Very nice patch of Dicentra, and they look so nice growing near the ferns!

My Grandmother had a lovely garden of the old fashioned Bleeding Hearts, and I'd dearly love to get some, but the plants are rather pricey. I don't really know where I'd put one, anyway... but they hold fond memories of childhood, so maybe one day I'll splurge and get one.

I've got a lot of weed pulling to do in my gardens, and another layer of mulch to add before they begin to look as crisp and nice as yours... thanks for sharing, Josh!

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

I always enjoy seeing my friends' pictures, & always feel a little twinge because I couldn't be there to see for myself what the picture captured. There's nothing like sharing time with a friend.

AL

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

So True Al...

JJcolor>

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

I hope every one had a great Easter.

My family bowls every Sunday with my parents, and today was our usual fun. When I got home, I found a surprise, a little bloom . Not an Easter Cactus, but I'll call it an Easter Bloom. One of the many beauties of spring.

{{gwi:25014}}

{{gwi:25015}}

{{gwi:25016}}

JoJo

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

My where to begin?!!!!

I had the time to finally read and have a clear mind about what I was reading. Just beautiful guys and gals! Just amazing!

Jojo: I love that GREEN cactus, and the above rose! Does that rose have a fragrance? It is just so perfect in every way from here.
    Love that cactus in the gutter too..lol
    As Jodi, I have not got the time to clean them and the snow storms and caked ice take them down anyway, so no more.
    I have to say that if I was able to grow any cactus I anted outside, that would be another money spending addiction for me.
    I can't even imagine how your jades do.
    I am so thrilled you have your camera back:-))))

Jodi: I am honored for you to take the time and walk me through your yard. All of us in fact. You keep making me want to come back for more.:-0)
    I always wondered how plants do in your neck of the words.
    I also think I would love to watch the storms just roll in with the lightning and such, but not the flooding rains. You poor thing.
    Lucky you!! You get yet another greenhouse and yet this one is glass? Oh, I wish I could be so lucky.
    One thing I will say though. When electricity was cheaper and energy costs not so high, I always wanted to keep one running all winter like the nurseries. Now, the cost of everything has taken the hopes of that dream away.
    That view, that greenhouse, and the other, those flowers and all the added detail you enriched us with is so appreciated. Please keep coming back.

Josh: Thank you, thank you for posting your pictures. I just love the greens in your area and all those ferns! Your area is just so different from the rest of us. I was actually out yesterday looking for unusual big ferns to plant in my yard, and found just the common stuff. I think I shall 'google' them .
    I even dug soem moss up and planted it my yard to see ow it does.
    Your technique for picture taking has been noticed. I love it.

Jodi: I have noticed you are way ahead of us in the flowering department. My lilacs are just starting to bud. Hum. Al seems to get the same general weather I do. Every time he says it is in the 40's, it seems to be here shortly after that.

Have a great day everyone. I just love this thread and enjoy it fully!

Mike

13 years ago

Thanks, Mike, JoJo, Jodi, and Al!

It's great fun taking the tour with everyone, and also escorting you around my yard.
    I wish it were possible to capture more of the landscape...then you could see how many
    ferns I really have! Scores of them! Most are Dryopteris species, then Western Swordferns,
    then Giant Chainferns, Alaskan Ferns, and a single Korean Rock Fern. I love them all.

JoJo, the Jump-Ups are clumping nicely now...nice blots of color in the beds.
    The Forget Me Nots are about to take over, too. They cover every square inch of the beds
    before fading away.

It's been raining since yesterday, so the moss is replenishing itself ;-)

Josh

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Hello!

My jump ups are holding up pretty good, all the pansies are. I have them in part shade this year. The heat really slows them down.

Our Pallo Verde Tree finally started to bloom! I love the color! It's a bright tree!

It's at the end of the drive way.

{{gwi:25017}}

{{gwi:25018}}

And another Rose picture.
    This Rose is quite happy in the 5-1-1 and has come along way! It was a clearance rescue. ;-)

{{gwi:25019}}

A new Flower to attract humming birds. I cant remember the name, I'll look tomorrow.

{{gwi:25020}}

{{gwi:25022}}

And a Strawberry ...It shares the pot with the red Rose and was also a clearance mess. lol.

{{gwi:25023}}

JoJo

13 years ago

Great pics, JJ - thanks for sharing! We've had days of rain here, some local flooding, but spring is finally arriving, albeit rather late. The forsythia are finally popping, and the early trees are budding out. Hurrah! ;-)

Al

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Josh: You know I just love the greens in your area! It reminds me of Scotland. Love it.

Al: Thank God it has been arriving. All of a sudden all the trees are popping in bloom and the grass has turned a rich green. No smell of cut grass yet and no humming birds to be seen. Lots of squirrels though..And thank God no woodchuck this year! He tore out all my bulbs last one.
    I have got HUGE lillies that are going to come out this year. Yahoo.

Jojo: If you can get a picture of a humming birds prancing around a flower, that would make my day! I hear they come by the dozens in your area and can be heard buzzing around from a distance like bumble bees.
    I love that tree! I never saw a tree bloom yellow like that. Amazing. I really appreciate your desire to share the seasons with us and the many insects and plants that grow and flower there. I have always been curious along with everyone else's area. I just love this thread.
    If you can even get flowers opening up on Saguaro cactus after a rian storm, wow!

Please keep this thread alive and take more pictures. I will try and capture some of my spring plants around here too as soon as I get a chance this weekend!

Ps. Jojo. Keep your strawberry well watered which means alot, since they grow much bigger if so.

Mike

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lovely, JoJo! The yellow tree is really eye catching, and reminds me of the forsythia in our neck of the woods!

And the rose is really doing well! I think it's going to like your area, because you don't get the summer humidity that brings blackspot or powdery mildew. The only thing it might not like is the intense heat... you may have to give it a touch of shade later on in the season.

I have no idea what that purple flower is... but I do see baby strawberries starting on the mother plant, there! Interestingly, we also have strawberry plants in bloom, though not as advanced as yours.

Nice, JoJo... thank you for sharing! I always enjoy seeing what everyone else is growing, and how the seasons are progressing elsewhere... it's wonderful to see what sort of plants interest others and how they go about displaying them!

I recently took another turn about my yard, but haven't had time to upload any pictures... I'll try to get on that. :-)

• jojosplants
    12 years ago

Good Morning!
    Al~ Mike~ Thank you both. :-)

Al~ Glad you like the pictures! The rose and strawberry are a little something I'm really excited about and share as a "Thank You" for all your patience! I have killed so many over the years! It's a really special start of my day to see them, so beautiful. (I meant to say so in the post, but it was late, I was tired, hit submit too soon. ;-) )

I cant believe the weather you've had! All of you for that matter. I'm so glad spring is on the way for you! I can't wait to see how your yard progresses and hope to see more bird pictures soon!

Mike~
    I love seeing and hearing about the different parts of the country too! You guys have critters that we don't and vice a verse . :-)

We do have alot of humming birds, and if they're hungry and you let the feeder go dry, they will buzz your head and get in your face and yell at you. I kid you not! lol!

I'm planning alot of new things for the yard this year to attract them, to rely less on the feeders. Also, I am in such envy of all of you with so many beautiful perennials popping up everywhere! So, more perennials for me this year. And lots of flower vines.

The Palo Verde is Native to here, and grows everywhere! They are used alot in landscapes, and along the streets, no watering required! I have never watered this tree! And after the flowers are gone, they are a beautiful shade tree.

We lost our second one last season in a storm, and had to remove it. I was heart broken!

A blooming Saguaro may be tough, they're pretty tall before they bloom, but I'll see what I can do. :-) It would do me some good to get away from here and spend a day in the desert anyway.

I'm so excited to have strawberries! lol! A few years ago, I had 1 ripen, and Mike teased about the $500 strawberry, because of how many I had killed over the years. I told him we could do some math on the deer and bass, and he shut right up. ROFL! Now all I need to do is get some wire over it. I have a Cardinal that likes red stuff!

Mike,
    Here's a picture from last season. I hope it Makes your day, at least until I can get some new ones. ;-)

{{gwi:25025}}

I'm loving this thread, and hope to see more of everyone Else's yards, plants and critters!

I hope you all have a great day!
    Happy Spring!
    JoJocolor>

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You say you hope to see more? I think I can accommodate you! Please join me on another foray around the spring yard, won't you?

First, a closeup of the new Phal I received as a gift...
    {{gwi:25026}}

A closeup of the lovely lavender Creeping Phlox...
    {{gwi:25027}}

And this is where it grows, in front of a French Willow, with other perennials...
    {{gwi:25028}}

A collection of Tulips...
    {{gwi:25030}}

{{gwi:25032}}

{{gwi:25035}}

{{gwi:25038}}

{{gwi:25040}}

{{gwi:25042}}

{{gwi:25044}}

{{gwi:25046}}

{{gwi:25048}}

{{gwi:25050}}

And some later Daffodils...
    {{gwi:25052}}

{{gwi:25054}}

{{gwi:25057}}

{{gwi:25059}}

Irises are beginning...
    {{gwi:25060}}

{{gwi:25061}}

Virginia Bluebells...
    {{gwi:25062}}

I believe this is Brunnera...
    {{gwi:25063}}

I'm not sure what this shrub is called, but the yellow blooms are pretty...
    {{gwi:25064}}

The Dicentra is further along in blooming...
    {{gwi:25065}}

The Fuji Apple tree is really going strong...
    {{gwi:25066}}

And another flowering tree...
    {{gwi:25067}}

And finally, some Johnny Jump Ups that spread around the gardens...
    {{gwi:25068}}

I hope you enjoyed the latest in blooming items from around my gardens! There's more to come!

Happy Gardening!

12 years ago

Enjoying them greatly!

Thanks for the latest JoJo and Jodi!
    Jodi, I've never seen a frilly tulip....awesome!

Josh

• jojosplants
    12 years ago

Hi All!

Jodi All the color is just amazing!
    I love that phlox! I just got a small pink and white one this week. I believe it's called candy stripe. I've never grown it.
    The orchid is pretty! What a nice gift!

The fringed tulip, is that a parrot tulip? So neat and fragile looking!

And last but not least, the happy little Johny Jump ups. :-)

Thanks so much for sharing all these!

Josh,
    I hope the moss is filling in! Anxious to see it! Last year you had some amazing pictures!

JoJo

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

I awoke at 4:45 am, and guess what the first thing I did was this morning? Yes, you guessed it! I came for another tour.

Wow. I love that frilly tulip. Even my mom said she has never seen one like that before. Jodi, like mom said, AMAZING! Look at all those colors and things. My mom especially loves the phlox. She has always wanted a yard that gets lots of sunlight to build a rock garden and plant those everywhere. Thank you again. Can't wait for more.

Jojo:

Thank you thank you!!!! You made my morning with the oversized bumble bee! Did you know that my favorite few fliers are the honey bees, bumble bees, and yes, the humming bird?
    I love to watch them buzz around my flowers, that is if I could only see a humming bird like I did last year. He was buzzing all around my citrus
    flowers. It was rather cute.
    Yes,the plants and species native to our own areas is just so breath taking and so enjoyable to see. It is a shame that too many people take that for granted. I am glad we have this kind of appreciation for it:-)
    Please more pics?

Josh: Jojo is right. You had some amazing pics last year of mosses and the such. I can't wait to see even more buddy! I can't wait to see your citrus in bloom too:-))))

Mike

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, guys! Hi, Mom! (waving)

Fringed Tulips are only one of a large variety of types. I've included a link that shows the many types, and each type has a whole array of colors, heights, bloom times and whatnot... it's very interesting! Mike, this is one of the mail order catalogs I get and order from occasionally. They're very good, with a quality product and reasonable pricing. I believe you can sign up for a free catalog at their website.

My favorites are the little Species Tulips, though I do like the Parrots, the Lily Flowering Tulips, and some of the more unusual ones. The choice is so large!

Josh, I picture your yard with Species Type Tulips blooming... only because you have a more woodsy, natural theme going on! :-)

JoJo, that's a color of Creeping Phlox we're hoping to add to the gardens... I love the candy striped variety! We have a very long length of fencing behind... or in front of, however you want to look at it... the new rose beds, and I thought a group of Creeping Phlox in varied colors would look nice growing at intervals down the fence line, on the road side of it.

You don't need a rock garden to grow Creeping Phlox, Mike... just a little sunshine and a place to plant them. If they like the spot, they'll spread nicely! I've got this perennial planted along the sidewalk at the northern end of the house, and in the area shown above, where it gets morning sun only. It's doing very well!

You'll notice that the area contains all manner of perennial plants, proving that many aren't as picky as their tags would have us believe. Along with the Creeping Phlox are Standard Iris, Siberian Iris, Daylilies, Columbine, Hosta, Rose "Betty Prior", and a miniature rose... plus chives, oregano, thyme, two types of Sedum, and a pink French Pussy Willow tree/shrub.

That's a diverse mix of sun and shade lovers, and plants that prefer dry and more moist conditions... all thriving beautifully together. They get eastern/morning sun, water from the drip line of the roof when it rains, and some pool water from the duck brigade for nutrition. For insect control, there are plenty of praying mantises and toads. :-)

When it comes to planting outdoors, I don't think we're quite as locked in as some information or plant tags would have us believe. I've got all manner of plants paired, and I seldom have issues. Occasionally, I'll have to dig up a plant and move it to a more hospitable area of the garden. Perhaps a Hosta will be getting a bit too much sun, and the leaves will be showing burn... or a rose isn't blooming as it should, so I need to move it to a place where the sun reaches for a few more hours... or something along those lines. But usually, as long as I'm fairly accurate with ensuring a plant's needs, it will thrive nicely.

I couldn't get a clear picture, but there are actually blooms on our Paw Paw tree! I didn't even know they flowered! Well, not a noticeable flower. They are little Tulip shaped brown and yellow/greenish blooms, growing close to the branches, hanging like little bells. I've never seen these before! I wonder if the little tree will fruit? I guess you can eat them... though I don't know much about this kind of tree.

Well... that's it for now... thanks for checking out my gardens, and thanks for sharing yours! This is a really nice idea... to have a thread for spring blooms other than in containers! :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Tulip Types - John Scheeper's

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Hey! I guess I was a bit under the weather when this last post went unnoticed and time to bring it back!:-))

Jodik: Mom is waving hello too and made me take some pictures for you all since spring as sprung within just a few days here. So we went up the street since we are surrounded by cemeteries and took some of our local blooms pics for you too this past Sunday. All of these pic taken the same morning.

Enjoy!

{{gwi:25069}}

{{gwi:25070}}

{{gwi:25071}}

{{gwi:25072}}

{{gwi:25073}}

{{gwi:25074}}

{{gwi:25075}}

{{gwi:25076}}

{{gwi:25077}}

{{gwi:25078}}

{{gwi:25079}}

{{gwi:25080}}

{{gwi:25081}}

{{gwi:25082}}

{{gwi:25084}}

{{gwi:25086}}

{{gwi:25088}}

{{gwi:25089}}

Mom wanted me to take a pic of her favorite monument for you Jodik, and one of moss for you Josh:-)

{{gwi:25091}}

{{gwi:25092}}

12 years ago

Thanks, Mike! ;-)

As soon as I saw those roots, I knew the moss was for me! Ha!

Nice picture of Aslan there at the end, too.

The Forsythia is absolutely en flame!

Josh

12 years ago

Hello Everyone..

Hi MIke...Great pictures...

Looks like spring up in MA!

Hope you and your mom had a great Easter!!!

Hugs to you and your mom!!!

Take care everyone..

Laura in VB

• jojosplants
    12 years ago

Hi Mike!
    hey, sorry i'm just getting to this, I thought I had posted, but guess not.

Everything is just beautiful! Thank you, and Mom! For taking the time to take these. The colors are just amazing!

I love the yellow shrub, but I think I would have to say the white blooming tree is my favorite! So fresh and crisp, just like spring!

My Palo verde, is dropping it's flowers now. :-( But it's time, they don't last long so we enjoy the color while we can. ;-)

Not alot new here.. but do have one real neat picture I got the other day on one of my cactus blooms!

{{gwi:25093}}

{{gwi:25094}}

{{gwi:25095}}

This is the second spring this cactus has bloomed. I only get 2 blooms, but they are well worth it at almost 4" across!

JoJocolor>

12 years ago

Ooh, that last pic is especially nice, JoJo!
    What a great big flower!

Josh

12 years ago

I agree - Mike's shots are great, too. Thanks for letting us enjoy with you!

Al

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Beautiful photos, everyone! Such color! Thank you very much for sharing them all!

Having just returned from a long trip, I have nothing to add at the moment... but I hope to have some new pictures ready soon! Stay tuned! :-)

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Welcome back Jodik! Yahoo! Can't wait to see more pics.

Thanks Al....I just love sharing our photos and walking abouts together. Now if we could just all just get together!

Hey Josh: You knew, didn't you? Yes, that was one pic my Mom told me to take for you:-)

Jojo!!!! I have a cactus just like that one. Oh, if only mine could look like that. Nothing! Not yet anyway. Please keep your fingers your crossed for me. I think you are magnificent at growing just about any cactus. Bravo!
    I will let Mom know. We had fun doing it! She was asking me if you had all seen them.
    Those blooms are so pretty. I just wished they lasted longer than a few days, and even less with all this cold rain for days on end:-(
    You never get to smell the sweet frgrance of spring in this crappy weather. By the time it clears out, the flowers are all but gone and all that is left behind is the foliage.
    Cute bee you have flying around there. At least that one is not a leaf cutter, I hope.

Love this thread all!

Can't wait to see more pics and I am glad to see Jodik back:-)

Mike