Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marshaul

Screen on the bottom of large pots for Al's gritty mix

marshaul
13 years ago

So, any advice for how to do this?

I have one 8" in particular which has holes on the sides at the base as well as through the bottom.

It isn't as easy as I thought it would be to just kind of make a "cup" of screen and put it down in there.

I could cut little squares for each port, but with a pot like this there would be nothing to keep them where they should be.

Anybody know of any ways to affix the screen to the bottom of a pot?

My pots are plastic, BTW. But I'm very seriously considering whether I have the money to buy clay ones for my last couple plants. Of course, a clay pot is likely to only have a single hole, thus obviating the difficulty; but still, I'm curious...

Comments (10)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

I am using the plastic nursery pots salvaged where ever. I have found that cutting off a mesh bag like onions are sold in, and putting it in the pot, adding enough gritty mix to hold it in place, while I plant the plant, works well. Al

• monet_g
    13 years ago

Aluminum screen should hold its shape better than fiberglass. (Not sure which you are using.)

I have done the same thing as Al. Position the screen and slowly add your mix making adjustments as necessary.

• jodik_gw
    13 years ago

You could always temporarily glue the screen pieces in place, just so they'd hold while you added the medium... a bit of rubber cement or spray crafting adhesive... nothing elaborate.

• susan2010
    13 years ago

Assuming the holes on the sides are near the bottom uf the pot, maybe try a long band of screening as a "collar" around the circumference of the pot? You can even use tape of some kind to hold it until you fill.

• Joe1980
    13 years ago

Yep, all good ideas. I also use aluminun screen; it's fairly cheap, and comes in a roll, with plenty on it. As mentioned, it holds it's shape, so you can cut it and bend it any way you like. Be careful with glue; it will work, but the kind you use is important, because you don't want anything that can leach when you water. Silicone caulk would work good too. Just a little dabble here & there will hold anything, and it's made to repel water.

Joe

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

I face this issue all the time because I use cut down (ht) nursery cans as training pots for bonsai. Since I own a class company, I have unlimited access to screen material, but it's inexpensive & won't break the bank if you want to try this:

I cut strips of screen about 2" wide and several inches longer than the pots diameter. I position them so they cover 2 holes each, on opposite sides of the pot. This means the strip runs up the side to cover 1 hole, then across the bottom of the pot and up the opposite side to cover the hole there. I use a thin stick that's flat on the end to hold the screen in place temporarily, and I just place a small pile of soil on the screen to hold it secure while I fix the other 1-2 screens in place in the same manner. The screen strips are reusable if you wish.

You can also do the same thing using 1 piece of screen for each hole, but I find the '2 for 1' application easier.

AL

• rain1950
    13 years ago

When working with odd style containers, I like using 2 layers of landscape cloth. Placed in the bottom; wetted and let the soil mix hold it in place.

• susan2010
    13 years ago

For house plants, I have used a coffee filter. I poke a hole for the wick, and at each drainage hole of the pot, after it's filled.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    13 years ago

I use fiberglass mesh sheetrock tape. Its very strong yet flexible and has an adhesive backing that sticks well to plastic and clay. You can find it at any home improvement store.

Here is a link that might be useful: drywall tape

• marshaul
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! Lots of great ideas.

I ended up just doing the "add a little bit, adjust, repeat", but I think next time I'm gonna have to try a few of these suggestions, which sound like better ideas yet.

Al, your strips sound easier and better than what I ended up doing.

mksmth, I also kind of want to try that fiberglass mesh sheetrock tape.

Thanks, guys! This forum is great.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH