Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
container green onions

Posted by gardeninghellians nebraska (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 22:13

I decided this year to try green onions in a container. I used one of those window seal planter boxes... well it started out great, I watered the seeds put the heat lamp by it and a couple days later little green onions started popping up... well now they look terrible! They are wilted and the tops are... crunchy and brown! I keep the heat lamp a good distance from them and water them when they need it but nothing is helping!! Any advice??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: container green onions

Do you have pictures? Sounds like you did things just fine, but pictures would help see the situation better.

Also what is the time frame from when they started popping up looking all nice and good, until now when they don't?

o
RE: container green onions

Onions, once germinated need COOL weather. Outdoor is the best, after hardening off a bit. My onions overwinetered, so did leeks, garlic. At times the ground was solid frozen. The have started growing even in freezing night temps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here