Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Time Gardener - Not Doing So Well

Posted by WScott84 Denver, CO (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 22:38

First Time Gardener - Not doing so well. We rent so I decided to plant the fruits and vegetables in 10 gallon bins and 1 20 gallon. I live in Denver, CO, and it's pretty dry here. The humidity is usually 40-50% at night and as low as 15% during the day. So I was watering them everyday, yet most of my plants were wilting. Someone suggested I might be watering them too much and this can cause wilting. So I drilled 4, 1/2 in holes in each bin, and 8 in the big bin. I did this yesterday and today, so I am still waiting to see if this helps. I did notice the soil was wet that came out of the drill holes. I also took the plants that I planted in their organic pots, I took them out of the pots and replanted it. I used the pot shards and covering for the soil. I will probably get mulch this weekend. The soil on the top was getting really dry, even though 2 inches down is where it was still moist. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Time Gardener - Not Doing So Well

• Posted by garf 10b (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 23:40

You don't worry about what the surface is doing. The plant lives farther down.

o

I am sure drilling the holes will help. Plant rarely do well in a planter without drainage.

o

Watering every day with no drainage holes and wilting plants .... hmm seems like a good setup to raise fish.

In a dry climate, having mulch helps greatly as it helps prevent the top dryness.

You didn't say what type of soil you have, but if you're willing to (or unable to stop) watering every day, go with the 5:1:1 mix Tapla suggests. If you think you'll burn out from watering every day, use a more peat based mix. In a dry climate a 5:1:1 mix can dry out very fast.

o

Defnetly too much watering and you MUST have drain holes.
Do these containers sit on the ground ?
If you can sit them on the ground so you have soil to soil contact(container soil in contact with ground soil )
this will allow any access water to flow from container to the ground soil and keep roots from being waterlogged and dying,as roots need air also,

o

WScott, ditto what everyone else has said. If your plants have wilted as a result of overwatering, you can bet all those tissues have been damaged. There may be parts that can recover, but usually the cells would have exploded from too much water and there's no recovery from that - especially if this has been happening over a long period. Try it again with new plants and make sure you have good drainage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here