Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Container mix for blueberries

Posted by emorems0 PA - 6a (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 22:40

Mixing up a bunch of 5-1-1 mix for various potted plants that don't fit in my in-ground beds. After reading through the big thread on 5-1-1 it seems that the only switch for blueberries would be to swap the garden lime for gypsum... problem is, I haven't been able to find gypsum locally.

Then I started thinking about what the guy from the blueberry farm told me about planting media and how different it is from 5-1-1. When I bought my first blueberry plants a few years ago, I recall him saying to use a mix of playground sand and sphagnum peat moss and I think that was it.

So, what's a good container soil for blueberries? At this point, I just need to get these new plants potted and don't have much time/money to go out and search for new stuff... I mean, if I have to I will, but I'd rather not. I have available, pine bark much (pretty fine, I can sift it), sphagnum peat moss, perlite, mushroom compost, topsoil, Dynamite 15-5-9 CRF, and garden lime.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Container mix for blueberries

I have 6 blueberries in pots ranging from 3 to 6 years old, and they are all growing well. They are in a mix of pine bark mulch and peat with some perlite. I modified the 5:1 ratio of pine bark to peat to approx. 4 to 2. I find I needed the extra peat for water retention. Don't worry about the gypsum for now, it's just for calcium anyway, and you can supplement the calcium in other ways. I know Espoma makes a garden gypsum product.

o

I save my egg shells from my friend's backyard chickens to crush and toss in the garden... Would that work for calcium?

o

In my experience, egg shells are very, very slow to break down, so I wouldn't consider them to be a reliable source of calcium for container gardening. Unless you're planning to fertilize organically, check your local big box store for Miracle Gro's Shake 'n Feed Tomato, Fruits, and Vegetables. Ed uses it and first brought it to my attention -- it will provide calcium (as well as other major and minor nutrients) plus the balance of its nitrogen is in blueberry friendly forms (ammonium and urea).

o

I'd failed to notice that you mentioned having Dynamite CRF on hand on first reading. Although it has a higher nitrate percentage than the MG product, it should be perfectly fine and will provide the necessary calcium. As far as the potting mix goes, I'm also a fan of bark-based mixes. When growing in plastic pots, I've done fine with the 5-1-1 mix (w/o lime, of course), but, in more porous containers (fabric or terra cotta, for example), I've done just what Ed recommends and upped the peat fraction to 20% to 25%.

o

Thanks all!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here