Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf Blueberries in containers

Posted by pyrocreation (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 6, 11 at 22:52

I recently picked up a dwarf tophat and northsky blueberry plant. I hope to keep them inside my apartment in my grow closest since my apartment gets no direct sunlight in any window or on our patio.

My questions boil down to this:

I used miracle grow moisture control mix mixed with sulfur soil acidifier mixed in. How often should I apply this? I was thinking to just add white distilled vinegar to my tap water when watering and just not worry about it.

Do I have to put it outside at all? I know blueberries have a "chilling" requirement, not really sure what to make of that.

Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf Blueberries in containers

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 7, 11 at 9:51

I hate to rain on you, but I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Your plant will want full sun, outdoors in the moving fresh air. It's likely you'll need to use some tricks to help your soil drain properly until the plant gets well-established, and I think just the vinegar, in the right proportions was all you needed for the acidification.

Do be careful to avoid nitrate sources of N. Use a fertilizer that gets its N from urea - like Miracle-Gro.

There are a LOT of threads that address blueberries in containers here, & a search will bring them up. Use the search words 'blueberries nitrate' and you'll get threads with more technical info.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here