Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting flowers in containers

Posted by Fire_Arrow none (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 5, 12 at 22:57

Hello,

Recently I purchased packs of flower seeds (Aster, Calendula, Alyssum, Bachelor's Button, Balsam, Morning Glory, Gaillardia, Marigold, and California Poppy) and I had three questions.

First can any of mentioned flowers be grown in pots? if so what size. Second do any of these flowers need fertilizer? I read that Marigolds don't but do any of the others need it?

Thank you for any help, I am rather new and at this and still looking around to learn more.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting flowers in containers

Also, how many seeds per pot?

o
RE: Planting flowers in containers

I've grown Calendula, Alyssum, Balsam, and Morning Glory in pots.

Balsam and Calendula likes deeper pots, I'd go with 10" diameter. The problem I had with the balsam was that they got pretty tall and on windy days tended to topple over. Calendula doesn't like to dry out. Alyssum seems to like being sowed where they will live, but I had mine in a fairly shallow flower box, only about 6" deep and 18" wide, with about 6 plants in there, maybe more. Morning glory is very easy to grow, but it helps if you soak the seeds overnight and nick them at the pointed end before planting them out. Plant MG's seeds out after soil temps get consistently in the 50's, about the same time you would put out tomatoes.

Again, with a 10" pot, I would try 6-8 seeds per pot for the Alyssum and Calendula, and maybe 4-6 seeds per pot for the MG's. It's better to plant more than less, as you can either pull out the extras or move them to another pot. Beware that MG's don't like to be transplanted, and they don't really need fertilizer but it doesn't hurt. Supposedly you get less flowers and more foliage with fertilizer. Otherwise, the other flowers would enjoy some.

Also, since Gaillardia is a perennial, you won't get flowers this year for any you sow, but will have to wait until next year for blooms (unless it's a new hybrid that flowers the first year?).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here