Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gritty Mix questions about turface, watering, and bark

Posted by May888 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 23:06

Hello,

It has been such a long journey in making this gritty mix for the first time. I hope it's worth it in the end.

I believe I did everything as instructed from researching/reading as many thread on gritty mix in this forum. However, I'm still in doubt what to do next. I hope someone can provide guidance for me to reach the end of my tiring journey :)

1. As pictured, do I need to water/wash the granite, turface, and bark before I mix it together? Or do I mix it together and then water the mix to flush away the dirt?

2. I have a 5 gal of turface that are less than 1/8 size after sifting a 50 lb bag. Is there any use of the remaining turface for something else or do I throw them away?

From my experience, the bark is the most expensive piece in finding bark within the 1/8 - 1/4 size. I have already spent $15 that resulted about 1/2 of the 5 gal bucket.

3. Is it possible or recommended to crush the remaining bigger size bark into small size within the 1/8 - 1/4 size?

Thanks in advance,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gritty Mix questions about turface, watering, and bark

Some of the granite dust has trace minerals. I would not want to wash that away. Yes why not size the bark. I myself would throw all the turface away. Pore size is so small plants cannot utilize stored water. Diatomaceous earth has larger pores plants can actually retrieve stored water.
It holds more water too. Turface holds about 95% of it's weight in water DE holds 142%.So the PAW (plant available water is a lot more). Average Turface pore size is 0.045 microns, DE is 0.36 microns. Less energy needed to pull water out. Roots can penetrate DE, but not turface, pores are too small for roots, DE is large enough for roots to enter.

o

thank you for the response. I thought maybe I can use the left over turface to mix it with commercial soil bag.

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Wa (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 11:02

Drew is full of it and aparently never reads any studies that get posted showing that Turface increases the available water in various container media. Turface DOES NOT hold onto water so tightly that the plants can't utilize stored water. There is a point as the mix dries where water that is held in the turface becomes unavailable, but that can be said of plain old garden soil too. Much of the water held in turface is available.

That said, the moisture retention curve for axis (DE) is better at holding water that is available to plants than turface (calcined clay)

You can use the sifted turface in your garden. Studies have shown it toimprove both sandy and clay soils.

o

thanks nil23.

o

Agreed, I use the turface fines in the garden as they help moderate moisture cycles by absorbing moisture from the soil when it's very wet and releasing it when the soil dries out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here