Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommendations for Stack-A-Pot Color

Posted by lexie1397 z8. OR (lnspellman@gmail.com) on
Thu, Apr 28, 11 at 23:25

Hi All!! I recieved as a gift a Stack-A-Pot that I'd like to fill with summer color. I've taken charge of the entire patio this year, save this planter, which my husband is claiming as his own. However, when we've tried using it in the past, we find that it dries out very quickly (my watering can is a bit absent-minded :D) so the plants need to be pretty durable and/or dramatic about their thirst.

We have a couple places it could live once full... a north facing balcony or a landing by the front door that is exposed to the north and east. The area that qualifies as full sun on the balcony is filling up fast but I can make room, the remainder is part shade to deep shade and has LOTS of room. The front step qualifies as full sun, but has bright shade from 11 am onward in mid-summer.

Recommendations????
If it does wind up by the front door, I'd love to have a gentle climber in the top to train on the railing and see if we can't block some of the heat. He'd like to see blue, purple type colors but isn't really picky as long as it's full and lush.

Oh-and I'll probably fill it with leftover organic potting mix from the veggies... sphagnum peat moss, bark and pumice mix from my local garden shop.

Here is a link that might be useful: What is a Stack-A-Pot?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommendations for Stack-A-Pot Color

The blue/purple color would make a nice contrast. You might look into the "wave petunias". Whatever you choose you'll need to keep up on the watering in the heat of the summer, unless you decide on cactus or another drought tolerant plant - "hens and chicks"?

o

Let me see if photo bucket is my friend today.

purple

pansies 6-09

potted plants

stacked pot

Photobucket

Photobucket

dianthus,marigolds

dianthus,marigolds

Kathi--crossing fingers!!

o

TTT for the original poster to see.
Kathi

o

Wow, Kathi! So glad to see someone has had great success with their pots. I'm also glad to see that some of the plants my husband chose are doing so well in your stacks.

We wound up with both trailing and mounding lobelia (he couldn't decide which would be best), couple colors of alyssum, and a big creeping phlox with pink and white flowers for the top. I decided to keep my mouth shut while he was shopping, so I'm sure they'll do just fine!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here