Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akalani

Short white worms in container soil

Ashish Kalani
10 years ago

I recently removed the potting soil (actually a mix of potting soil and compost) from a container, and found a whole bunch of short white worms in the soil (please see picture). Could someone let me know what these might be and how they could have gotten into the pot?

Thanks.

Comments (5)

• Ashish Kalani
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a closeup of one of the worms.

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Some kind of white grub. I see one or two occasionally. They are the larvae stage. Maybe of a beetle. Google white grub.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    10 years ago

I agree, and they no doubt came with the compost. Al

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Those are beetles. Very common. You really cannot tell which? Here we have June Bugs and Japanese beetle grubs, others too, but the most common. They are probably from the compost, possibly some type of wood beetles.The larvae of wood beetles look like that too, most beetles look like that! Wow, they grew well in the pot! Good job! :)
    Japanese beetles like to lay eggs in grass, so doubtful that's is what they are. Unless compost was harvested under sod.

• HU-243844853
    last year

thats alot of grubs! we usually have a little more than a few when we move into a new house, and theres a garden. but thats alot. in conclusion they are grubs.