Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulsiu

My first set of container plants

paulsiu
12 years ago

Now that some of my perennials are established, I was thinking of adding some container for the patio. The issue with the patio is that part of it is covered by trees and is fairly shaded. I am just starting on the sunny area of the patio first.

Container 1 - 17" Terra-cotta. Currently, it contains two oriental lilies. The plan is to put about 4 lily in the pot and have them bloom at different times.

Container 2 - 12" Terra-cotta. Filled with Rannculus bare roots. I followed the instruction to soak the root for several hours and then plant them into the pot.

Container 3 - 10" Terra-Cotta. Filled with a minature Rose that someone gave me that I have been keeping as a house plant. It was fairly root bound and was suffering from nutrient defficiencies. It definitely needed to be repotted. I cut the roots a bit to remove the bound, the roots were starting to loop.

The reason for the terra-cotta is because we do occassionally get really strong winds, so I don't want to wake up one day to find that the pot is in my neighbor's yard.

For soil mix, I am using a potting mix that I amended with some orchid potting mix, perlite, and sphagnum moss. I have no scientific basis for this mix except that I used it succesfully in houseplants. I also added some Micracle Grow slow release plant food.

I'll be able to tell in a few months whether I am successful.

Note: the next day the squirrel decided to start digging in the pot and pulled out a few Rannculus. I layed on some cayenne pepper on top for now until I can come up with a better solution.

Paul

Comments (2)

• capoman
    12 years ago

Good luck. You may want to read some of Tapla's threads on container soils. Very good reading, and will help you understand soil mixes much better.

• paulsiu
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, the plan is to replace the soil with some gritty mix in the future. Unfortunately, it looks like the temperature will drop to 29F tonight, so I have move the plants indoor for the night just in case. This is where I wish I didn't use claypots :-).

Paul