Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How many eggplants in whiskey barrel?

Posted by Lori615 5B/MI (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 23:41

I am growing Black Beauty and Fairy Tale eggplants. How many total eggplants should I put in a 25" whiskey barrel?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How many eggplants in whiskey barrel?

Black beauty is very big. I would plant two at most. You could probably grow three of the much smaller Fairy Tales. In Michigan you'd probably get a greater yield in pounds of eggplants from the Fairy Tales.

o
RE: How many eggplants in whiskey barrel?

I used a 5 gallon bucket per plant. I had to water 2 times a day when the temperatures were over 100 degs. Above 90 degrees I water 1-----2 times per day depending on wind.. Between 80-90 degrees at least 4 times a week below 80 degrees didn't happen I have 55 gallon drums halved. I'll do 4 plants each with drums placed on a 3ft. by 2ft grid.Last year I had 21 peppers and 2 egg plants. They behave very similar to each other and were extremely productive.I also started the plants under lights indoors and was picking peppers as I set the plants out. hears a few links and pictures you might get ideas from.

1:   4 X 4 X 2 FT HOT-BOX WITH PEPPERS UNDER COMP. FLOUR. LIGHTS---ABOVE THIS;  PLANTS NEEDING ROOT HEAT ARE GROWN--TEMPS HERE RUN ABOUT 90 DEG AND SEEDS GERMINATE FAST-- CITRUS ROOTS GROW WELL photo IMG_3597_1_zps2877c51c.jpg
4ft by 4ft by 2ft growing box CFL lighting 12 bulbs 13 watt each

peppers in 5 gal bucket 2-21-13 photo IMG_3625_1_zpsc42de232.jpg
as the plants get bigger. Click on either pic to open up display in photobucket use arrow keys on key board

the link provided below contains the best picture of my 5 gallon peppers. I was unable to find eggplant pics and thus are not visible but they do a little better than the peppers plants. Click on the link-picture to get more ideas These plants are on the rooftop garden and get moved around to get more or less light depending on the temperature.

YOU SHOULD DO REAL WELL ALLOWING AROUND 4 TO 5 GALLONS SOIL PER PLANT.

Here is a link that might be useful: https://plus.google.com/photos/111099372377958308731/albums/5864651368775846321/5864653495328454770?banner=pwa&authkey=CI763rvAj8eLAg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here