Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paceyswitters

SW Hanging Planter?

paceyswitters
12 years ago

I just picked up a strawberry topsy turvy for $10 � have some strawberries coming in, figured why not.

I've heard a lot of complaints about them not allowing water to reach the bottom strawberries, and I wondered why not just put a wicking chamber and water resevoir under there?

Can anyone think of a reason this wouldn't work?

Comments (4)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

I don't think this would really be necessary. It's impossible to thoroughly water any container instantly that becomes completely dry no matter if it has side openings or not. You have to water once, then water again a few minutes later. Especially if there are things like peat, vermiculite, perlite, water retention crystals in the soil. After you water, these particles wick water away from the tilth. On the second watering much more water will be absorbed. Just like a completely dry sponge, you can't pour water over it once and get it wet all the way through. So I think if you water properly, low and slow, it would be unnecessary. I've grown impatiens in these type of hanging bags before and they do dry out more quickly. Get as much soil as you can in there with as little air pockets around the holes as possible.

• paceyswitters
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I live in a dry, mountain climate and am a first-time gardener taking advantage of my new deck; do you think I should just water the holy hell out of it every night and evening? It seems like with a bag like this, it would be really hard to overwater.

I've also got peppers and tomatos coming in; I'm building some SWC's for these, but probably still won't move them outside for another month.

• sandy1954
    12 years ago

does anyone know of a source to purchase plastic hanging baskets with the side planting holes. I do not have much luck with the liner baskets and our local nursery had some plastic baskets with the holes already cut of course they would not tell me their source. Thanks

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Before I forget, you can find your zone here. Including your zone in your profile will enable folks to better advise you.

"...do you think I should just water the holy hell out of it every night and evening?" Apply a gentle shower of water so it doesn't cause root disturbance, or cause the "dirt" to move around or even escape the bag. After 30-minutes to an hour, do it again. If possible, try morning watering, or try to avoid getting the leaves wet, just wet the dirt. As long as there is a small hole near or at the bottom of the bag, overwatering shouldn't be a problem. The peppers like things a little dryer than tomatoes. Do remember that tomatoes can give even experienced gardeners a hard time, and growing tomatoes in a container is an added challenge. Don't let yourself get discouraged about gardening in general if your toms are a disappointment. You'll get to know your plants as you spend time with them.