Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Success with Seeds

Posted by clbselah 7 (MD) (My Page) on
Sat, May 14, 11 at 0:16

Can I get some short basic info on the kind of success (or lack of) that you've had with these seeds...I usually by small perennials and a FEW annuals. But this year, for the first time, I am trying annuals from seeds. I've planted the ones below in plastic 20 inch pots on my porch (morning sun, late afternoon shade) Having to be patient and wait on the seeds, is enough to send me back to just buying the plants next year:) The seeds were planted in pots around plants already in the pots (amarylis, asiatic lily, hibiscus, turtle head chelone)

The seeds are: Carnation, Cosmos, Foxglove, Nasturnium, Petunia, Phlox, Poppy, Portulaca, Salvia, Zinnia, Angel's Trumpet, Celosia, Cleome, Coleus, Delphinium, Yarrow. (as you can tell I was in the nursey and went crazy buying everything I liked!). Basically I'm just looking for whether they're good growers, easy to spout (or not), whether the seeds will drop off miss the pot and spread on the ground, prone to pests, etc....)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Success with Seeds

Two books from Parks Seeds are helpful references. "Parks Success with Seeds" and "Parks Success with Herbs". Al

o

The Growing From Seed forum here may help. Search that forum for the particular plant you want to start, and you'll get a lot of information.

Of all those you listed, I suspect you'll have the most luck with nasturtiums and zinnias.

o

The web site in link below will help with annuals. Also, you might want to try winter sowing next year. It's a good and simple way to start a lot of perennial plants. Check out the Winter Sowing forum here for more info.

Here is a link that might be useful: starting flowers from seeds

o

Cosmos, poppy, and phlox are also good from seed. Poppy seeds should be lightly pressed into the soil as they are really small.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here