Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best soil mix for sip containers

Posted by littleluey Zone 9 (My Page) on
Sun, May 8, 11 at 0:20

i like to try a couple of self watering containers and i like to know what soil combination will work best, i have read that mostly peat moss is used for the SIP containers but i like more info on that. i plan on having he soil wick the water up,

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best soil mix for sip containers

Al's 5-1-1 is the best!!!

o

Well I don't know what is the best but the 511 isn't the best for self watering containers. try looking for some posts by engineeredgardener or something like that, i think he does a lot of self watering stuff.

o

If you search earthtainers you will find posts by Raybo who uses 3-2-1 Good potting mix, bark fines and perlite. Folks at the EB forum tend to use mixes that are mostly peat, with added perlite. Some like Coir. Many soiless mixes will work as long as they wick and do not have manures. LInda

o

I agree. From all I've read about them, the 3-2-1, potting mix(or peat), fines, and perlite works the best. I'll probably make one SWC this year just to try it out.

o

thanks for commenting everyone, i will search some more

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here