Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How often do you replant citrus in a pot

Posted by paulsiu (My Page) on
Wed, May 18, 11 at 0:39

My sister grows citrus tree in a pot on her patio in the Bay Area. She indicated that it's been in the same pot for several years. She does fertilize it every couple of months using some sort of Miracle Grow blue crystal fertilizer that attaches to a hose.

I don't grow trees in pots, but repot house plants every couple of years, so I was wondering how often does citrus trees needs to be repotted even if it is fertilized?

I was also going to suggest that she try to use a granular fertilizer for citrus because it would be even less work and won't spray fertilizer all over the place.

Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How often do you replant citrus in a pot

Hi Paul,
If it's been in the same mix for several years, than it's probably due to be re potted. Especially if it's in a mix that has a large amount of peat.
Over time, the mix is going to collapse, and not allow for proper air and gas exchanges, which are vital to the tree's vigor and healthy roots.
Alot of the members here re pot their trees 1-2 years.
Below I've provided a link loaded with information that will be a good starting point to understand how tree's in containers are grown.

I hope it helps! It's a good start until others can get here to help further. :-)

JoJo

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree's in Containers

o

Paul your sister is in the majority with those growing citrus in containers. Citrus is pretty tolerant of collapsed soil, as long as she is diligent in her water/fertilizer routine. Of course her mix should be changed. I have not seen a timed release fertilizer among those formulated for citrus. If she is using the miracle grow labeled for Azaleas it works OK as long as she does it on a monthly routine, year around. Al

o

My sister had been growing her grapefruit which is as tall as her ceiling in the same pot without a transplant for more than 10 years!

She use to just scrape out the top few inches of the mix and then replace it with fresh stuff.

This year it croaked as fast as lightning can hit you off guard.

I change mine out every couple of years or so, unless the plant outgrows their pots.

Mike

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here