Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noroom2grow

How many pepper plants can i plant in this?

NoRoom2Grow
11 years ago

I know about the general one plant per pot suggestion but i have a low budget.

I have jalapeno, sweet bell and yellow cayenne. Enough for same variety in single pot.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dimensions: 15" round opening 10" deep

{{gwi:26156}}

{{gwi:26157}}

{{gwi:26158}}

Comments (16)

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    11 years ago

I would say only one. More important, I don't see any drainage holes. If there aren't any, I suggest drilling a few.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

One plant, and that's it.
    Ditto on the drainage hole.

Josh

• dickiefickle
    11 years ago

but ,you already knew that lol

• NoRoom2Grow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL! yes, but I was hoping someone has planted more than one in a similar container and push me to do it.. oh well.. $19.99 for one plant..

11 years ago

I know of many folks who overcrowd their peppers.
    The plants are smaller and the harvest more modest as a result.

Josh

• ray4852
    11 years ago

Get rid of that thing. you can do better with one gallon plastic pails or get one of these.

http://ezgrogarden.com/

• dickiefickle
    11 years ago

$ 20 you can buy many more practical but not as pretty containers
    I would have bought 7 buckets from Home Depot planter one pepper in each

• NoRoom2Grow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I didnt buy it.. lol it was a gift from my sister.

I ended up going to Dollar Tree and got 3 Gallon Buckets. Drilled a bunch of holes and planted them individually.

Now 2 of my Tomato Plants have leaf curl so Im trying to find a solution.

• dickiefickle
    11 years ago

And what are you trying to grow toms in ,?

• NoRoom2Grow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

{{gwi:26159}}

11 years ago

There you go! Good choice!

Josh

• NoRoom2Grow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! As you can see, that is the only spot there is Sunshine in the back. Unless I fill the pool with potting mix? LOL!

• ju1234
    11 years ago

I did container planting for the first time this year. Used the 3 gallon buckets from Dollar Tree for a dollar each. After two months, i am really disappointed. The growth of all the plants is stunted, fruit inadequate in spite of adequate water food and sun. I was searching for reasons and found few articles on "root development of vegetable plants" I was surprised that most of them grow as much as 3-4 feet deep. There is no space in the buckets for that kind of growth. That is perhaps the reason my plants are not producing well. So, I am going to make real areas in the ground and transfer my plants into those. Any suggestions are welcome. here is a link to detailed study of root development: www.soilandhealth.org/01aglibrary/010137veg.roots/010137toc.html

• ju1234
    11 years ago

I did container planting for the first time this year. Used the 3 gallon buckets from Dollar Tree for a dollar each. After two months, i am really disappointed. The growth of all the plants is stunted, fruit inadequate in spite of adequate water food and sun. I was searching for reasons and found few articles on "root development of vegetable plants" I was surprised that most of them grow as much as 3-4 feet deep. There is no space in the buckets for that kind of growth. That is perhaps the reason my plants are not producing well. So, I am going to make real areas in the ground and transfer my plants into those. Any suggestions are welcome. here is a link to detailed study of root development: www.soilandhealth.org/01aglibrary/010137veg.roots/010137toc.html

• ykerzner
    11 years ago

Right you are, ju1234. You did not specify what you are growing in those containers, but if it's peppers or tomatoes, then it really depends on the variety. Most peppers need at least 5-6 gallons to produce well, and at least 8 gallons for tomatoes. However, there are many variations. Patio can grow and produce in a 3-gallon pot, as can Redskin Mini Bell Pepper and the hot ornamental peppers. There are several other dwarf tomato species that produce well in small pots, including Sweet'N'Neat and possibly Red Robin.

Ideal size for tomatoes is more like 10-gallon pots; for peppers it's 7-8 gallon.

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    11 years ago

Ideal size for indeterminate tomatoes is probably 25-30 gallons. They really would prefer to grow in the ground. Mine generally grow 10-14 feet tall in 25 gallon pots. A plant that size grows roots that match the plant in volume. But you can grow them in pots. I believe that 15 gallons is probably the minimum for indeterminates. The smallest pot I use these days is 20 gallons, and it is packed with roots at the end of the season. You have to water everyday during the hottest part of the summer in anything smaller.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting