Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gritty Mix Tree Leaf Size Question

Posted by gtw7983 Southern CA 9 a (My Page) on
Sat, May 12, 12 at 1:23

About 13 moths ago, I barerooted several citrus, cherimoya and other sub tropical fruit trees and planted them in the gritty mix. I've since fed them with foliage pro 9-3-6 and Pro Tek 0-0-3 pretty much every watering in the dosage of 1 tbs every gallon of water. However, I've noticed that most of these plants in gritty mix grow new leaves that are much smaller than same trees grown in regular peat based potting soils. I feed them pretty much once a week. Are they under- fed?
Anybody has an explanation or solution? Any insights from Talpa?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gritty Mix Tree Leaf Size Question

Is that "1 tbs" a typo?
The full strength dose is 1 Teaspoon per gallon.

That said, I haven't noticed reduced leaf-size on my citrus. Last year, I had very large leaves.

Are there other factors involved, such as container size or sun exposure?

Josh

o
RE: Gritty Mix Tree Leaf Size Question

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, May 12, 12 at 20:01

The factors that most affects leaf size are: ramification (number of branches & leaves) - more ramification = smaller leaves, amount of N the plant is getting - more N = larger leaves, light levels - low light = larger leaves, and root congestion - tight feet = smaller leaves.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here