Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need suggestions for tweaking 511 for watermelons

Posted by edweather 5 (My Page) on
Wed, May 2, 12 at 1:26

Last year I grew cantelopes and watermelons in decent sized containers, in a standard 511 mix. The watermelons didn't perform so well. Vines were short and melons small. I thought this was a little odd since watermelons were supposed to be a little more tolerant of acidic soils than cantelopes. Any suggestions for improving the 511 mix for the watermelons? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need suggestions for tweaking 511 for watermelons

I dont think its the components of the mix. In my opinion you might want to up the peat one part for watermelons. What size conatiner did you grow them in last year? I would recommend a minimum of 10 gallon and in the heat of summer you probably will have to water twice a day.15-20 gallon would be even better.

Damon

o

Last year I grew 1 group of 3 canteloupes and 1 group of 3 watermelons in a 22 gal tub. They might have been a little over crowded....will try to give them a little more room. I'll use the peat suggestion. Thanks.

o

Ed: I suspect the canteloupes grew a little faster than the watermelons and could have "hogged" the nutrients and space before the watermelons could establish themselves. I grew four tiger baby watermelons in a half whiskey barrel (25 gallons) and got about two nice sized melons per plant. I suspect they were over crowded as well, but it's so hard to limit the number of plants when you have so little space. I am no expert, but from my research, I believe melons prefer soil that is close to neutral pH, 6.5-7. I'd be careful about adding more peat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here