Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
drainage

Posted by ProjectX none (My Page) on
Wed, May 22, 13 at 1:32

I'm a newbie to the forums and growin things, I ordered an orange tree and am getting ready to mix up some potting soil-i went with peat moss, perlite and cedar bark chips. My ? is, since i need good draining and aerated soil I was also thinking of shredding a scouring pad (those green scrubbies you clean with) and mixing it in the soil??? Would this work, be bad, good or indifferent? Please, I am not looking for just yes or no but a little insight as to why or why not, like i said I'm new to this and want to understand why things do or don't work. I really appreciate advice, help criticism anyone's willing to offer on my little scouring pad idea!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: drainage

Some of the best information ever is right at your fingertips in this forum- I refer you to tapla's posts on "Container Soils - Water Movement & Retention."
Link below-

Once you have read and digested that (it won't be quick) then simply browse the forum and read everything that looks relevant. Study. Learn.
A week or two of that and you might be ready to mix up some potting media :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Soils - Water Movement and Retention

o

scouring pad a bad idea IMHO, cearbhaill has given great advice

o

Thanks for replying, I will definitely keep reading up on it-thanks for
the link. However, ready or not I have already mixed up some potting mix and I'm pretty confident in it. My question is specifically about adding shredded up scouring pads to the mix and I'm still desperate to get some insight into my little green scrubby idea???????

o

Christine-Thanks for replying, why is a scouring pad a bad idea. I'm not saying your wrong, I would just would like to understand why something is bad, wouldn't work or would.

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Wed, May 22, 13 at 11:33

It might increase drainage or it might trap a bunch of fine material or compress and stay soggy all the time. No one has any idea. So the reason not to use it is that you really don't kow what it will do without further study. There are plenty of materials available that can be used to increase drainage. Use those.

o

Thanks for replying, others mentioned it might injure the roots, so instead of using it In the soil for my only orange tree I'm gonna use it in a few of the strawberry plants I got coming-just to experiment

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here