Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Container Size for Sugar Snap Peas?

Posted by jewelgirl04 NJ 7 (My Page) on
Thu, May 14, 09 at 1:59

Hi, all! I've been growing pea seedlings inside my house for a few weeks and now, they're ready to be transplanted. I would really like to use only one container, as I have a 54" tomato cage already in my possession. What is the minimum size I can use for about eight pea seedlings? Can I use a 5-gal bucket or can I get away with something smaller?

Thanks!
Danielle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Container Size for Sugar Snap Peas?

I grew peas in 5 gallon bucket last year and they did quite well. I don't recall how many I had in each bucket but it was definitely more than 8 (I direct sowed and used innoculent). Be sure to stake them - I hung mine about 5 feet off the ground and ended up with a pea blob that climbed all over itself, the cukes next door, the fence - you get the idea...

o

I've got mine planted in under the bed storage containers - the first round, i should have planted them closer together - there are about 15 or so seedlings in there now. I did inoculate them, and they seem to be pretty happy, despite all the rain we've been having around here!

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Pictures

o

• Posted by tomncath 9B(microclimate 10A) (My Page) on
    Fri, May 15, 09 at 18:17

I've grown mine in 3.5 gallon buckets, five plants to the bucket, BUT this it was a little crowded, I'll cut back to four plants per bucket from here on out.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here