Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there a source for a HUGE pot

Posted by poaky1 6 pa (My Page) on
Sat, May 25, 13 at 2:10

As the title says is there a source for a giant container, like those giant round ones in malls? I have a Ficus Benjamin, and want to not have to worry about repotting for a while. I would like to add other houseplants around it etc. I realize I may have to make my own from Hypertufa. I also would like to pot up some hardy bamboo and plant it in a huge planter outdoors, that way I can control it's spread. I have some clumping bamboo already, but I would LOVE to plant some running bamboo in HUGE containers to control growth.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there a source for a HUGE pot

I've seen people use concrete rings used in road drainage. I dont know where you'd get something like that though. Perhaps a 55 gallon plastic drum? You can get them on craigslist and local "bargain sheet" newspapers.

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Sat, May 25, 13 at 10:55

those mall ones are concrete and insanely heavy and expensive. Can you get a forklift to where you are going to put it?

your best bet is plastic or fabric. You can find large soft pots around the web. You can use a 55gal drum cut in half or you can use horse troughs, pond liners, etc. Then you just build a nice enclosure so it doesn't look terrible.

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Sat, May 25, 13 at 11:00

you may also want to consider your potting medium. A pot that large full of potting soil soaked with water is going to be very heavy. You may need to reinforce the floor. you might also want to consider a lightweight potting medium.

o

As already mentioned, the 55gal food grade drums cut in half make nice planters. I bought 1 for $10.

o

From your zone, I assume you may want to grow the ficus inside? If you're thinking of moving it outside for part of the year, your size would probably be limited to something under 30 gallons, like Ed's food grade drums or a whiskey barrel cut in half. Thats probably large enough for almost any ficus that would fit inside.

But if you want a really huge container that's inexpensive and doesn't need to be moved inside, you might consider smart pots. There are ones up to 400 gallons for $80. Not terribly attractive, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Smart pots

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here