Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Tomato Leaf Curl! How & Why? What now? lol

Posted by NoRoom2Grow Chicago Burbs (My Page) on
Sat, May 19, 12 at 2:27

Here is the info:

2 Plants - Burpee Golden Jubilee Tomatoes

1 Plant per 6.5 gal square planter from Home Depot. (I know they are Indet and should be in bigger pot)

Used Bonnie Herb and Vegetable 8-4-4 Plant Food 1/2 strength up until the 11th of May when I gave them full.

Maybe they are low on Nitrogen?

These guys were doing just fine up until last week. Started from the bottom and worked its way up. Now they look like they are dying. Still pretty green though.. Heres a Pic I took last week:

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Is there any way that I can save them? Or should I take a loss and plant something else in there?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Tomato Leaf Curl! How & Why? What now? lol

Forgot to add medium: Miracle Grow Potting Mix

o

That's not bad. They look fine to me. It could be much worse. I think that mine curled last year from the heat. They relaxed later on in the season. Nothing to worry about IMO.

o

Mine looked exactly the same this year when I didn't properly harden them. They are okay now, but the one that suffered the most is obviously stunted.

o

Good lord! You should see my two Green Grape Tomato plants! They look like something out of a Stephen King novel, gnarly doesn't begin to describe them!

Those look fine to me.

o

Updated pics :

2nd plant below

o

Could be a mild case of fertilizer burn. And/or too much moisture. Watch out for both in MiracleGro potting mix.

o

Yeah, back way off on the watering... Let that mix dry out quite a bit, try to keep them out of any rain for a while if possible. Thy will bounce back, I had a few that looked like that or worse last year and they did just fine. Just let the mix dry a bit, not entirely though and they should do ok...

Make sure you're not watering until the top one to two inches of potting mix is dry

Patience is key lol..

o

Was that that moisture control M/G potting mix? That stuff is junk. If it was repot with a gritter mix. I use Black Cow and pine fines. Good luck. Some fool replaced all my tags with the wrong ones when I bought mine. Instead of cherry toms I am getting Romas and something close to Early Girls. LOL Have a great grow day, Paula
Hug a Vet.

o

Welcome to the wonderful world of growing tomatoes in containers. Here is what I've learned over the years. You water them too much, they wilt. Water too little, they wilt. Potting mix drains too quickly, they dry out too fast, they wilt. Potting mix retains too much water, their feet get soggy, they wilt. Fertilize too much, they wilt. Fertilize too little, they wilt. Give them a funny look, they wilt -- and then produce tomatoes with blossom end rot.

o

Lol mea, I have grown them in containers quite successfully. Just takes a bit of perseverance and patience.

o

WHAT EVER BECAME OF THESE PLANTS ?

o

Good question Dickie, nr2g can we get an update? :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here