Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muskymojo

Homemade mix for tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets?

muskymojo
12 years ago

I usually grow everything in raised beds, but this year I won't have enough room for everything I plan to grow. I plan on growing all my tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets, because I can't afford to build more raised beds at the moment. I'm looking for a good recipe for a potting mix suitable for doing so that is cheap with easily attainable ingredients. I have an almost endless supply of good compost and aged horse manure, so hopefully I can use some of that in the mix. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• TheMasterGardener1
    12 years ago

I have been using peat/perlite to add. I am currently thinking of adding bark to my soil mix for a filler. But with your access to compost just add 20% perlite/50%peat moss/30% compost. You could always top dress with compost so make a nice drainage mix. I have been growing cherry tomatoes in containers for years. Using those 5 gal. buckets you will need to keep feeding them. Also Use tomato cage or trellis. I have found that using even 50% perlite or more can grow plants faster but require more food and watering and if you add too much perlite ph ballance will need attention so stay with peat/perlite mix to add.

• muskymojo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the advice! How about the horse manure? I always mix it into my raised beds, but can it be used in a potting mix? Thanks!

• TheMasterGardener1
    12 years ago

Look for Al's 5-1-1 mix on here. I am going to try it soon.

5-parts pine bark fines
    1-part perlite
    1-part peat
    lime @ 1tbl spn per 1gal of mix. You have to water this mix alot but grows plants fast as to what I hear.
    Add that manure about 5-10% of the mix you can always add more manure later. The lime helps ph and gives Ca to the plant.
    Everytime I make a mix with perlite/peatmoss when I water it still retains too much water. That is why I am going to try this 5-1-1.

• muskymojo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! I've been reading about the 5-1-1 mix and it sounds like a good one. I think I'll give it a go.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

MM - I really think you have a much greater chance at getting plants to grow nearer their genetic potential if you base your soils on large particles like pine bark, instead of fine particulates like compost & manure that virtually assure excess water retention. Container media are much more about their structure than their nutritional content. It's often when you focus on try to get the soil to act as a source of nutrients instead of as a healthy home for roots that you run into some pretty significant growth/vitality issues. More help available if you need/want it .....

AL

• lyndaad10_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I am so new at this! Never planted tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets, but have 3 heirloom plants (1 reg & 2 cherry). I don't have "compost" I have potting soil, vermiculite & peat moss. I have pine mulch, can I use that? Please help me come up with a recipe! THANKS

• jojosplants
    12 years ago

HI lynda,
    does the pine mulch have pieces of bark, or is it very fine material? Can you post a picture of it?

Al~
    Did I read somewhere that compost can replace the peat fraction of the 5-1-1?

I'm getting ready to put together a container for mom, actually more like a raised bed, and I KNOW she's going to forget to feed the plants. lol... So I was thinking maybe the small amount of compost will help the plants.

JJ

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

You can use compost instead of the peat fraction, but compost adds very little in the way of nutrition for plants. It's primary benefit comes in the form of improved soil structure in mineral soils (gardens/beds/lawns ..... Maybe including a little dose of Osmocote on her behalf would be helpful?

AL

• jojosplants
    12 years ago

Hi Al~
    I planned on putting in some Osmocote too. ;-) I do realize compost doesn't add much in the way of nutrition, but think it would be better than peat.
    Many thanks,
    JJ

Sponsored
Bowers Design Build
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Fairfax County Design Build Firm Family Owned since 1990