Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brickza

SWC Containers a la Mexico

brickza
13 years ago

I recently came across a very simple and cheap way to grow food in cointainers that originates from Mexico City that seems quite interesting:

http://www.journeytoforever.org/garden_con-mexico.html

It could not find it in any searches in this forum, so I assume that it hasn't been discussed before.

Apart from the use of LOF (read the article :-), I'm quite interested in the working of their containers. Basically, a container is filled 4/5th with leaves/grass clippings or similar, and the top bit with soil. Drainage holes are not made in the bottom, but only 10-15cm up, much like for a self watering container. I can't see that the leaves will wick water up to the top, but what do others think?

I'm going to try it since I have some suitable plastic containers that I had obtained for free and a whole lot of autumn leaves lying around (autumn in the southern hemisphere), so I have nothing to loose. I'll follow up some time in the future :)

Comments (7)

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    13 years ago

Interesting concept! The leaves or grass clippings with the good dirt on top, make it much lighter. No drain holes on the bottom! Just one on the side, so the water stays in the pot under the drain. Their results seemed interesting too.

OH and the fertilizer!! LOL!! Will you be using urine in your pots?

They said it only works for certain vegetables. I doubt it would work for Citrus trees or any tree for that matter. Not enough dirt. It would need shallow rooted plants. I bet herbs would be great in there!

Thanks for posting the link!

• dancinglemons
    13 years ago

Very interesting article. I will probably try this in 2011 but with a more 'commercial' fertilizer like dried blood or fish emulsion. Would try now but have no leaves at present.......

DL

13 years ago

Ms dancinglemons, I agree with your fertilizer recommendation. I might even go with water soluable Miracle Grow, but just an idea. All paint departments (walmart, Target, or any) carry these nice 5 gallon paint mixing buckets for really cheap. Drill a hole in the side, fill the thing with autumn leaves, and we have a party!!
    Suzi

• brickza
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi,

After I built mine using essentialy 100% maple leaves for the bottom part, I did a bit more reading. It seems like many of the advantages of this method is due to the active composting below the soil level that scares off pests and such. Aparently maple leaves (and most other yellow/brown leaves) have a fairly high carbon to nitrogen ratio, and thus extra nitrogen is needed for the composting to get going/continue.

Of course the use of urine (which is actually quite widely discussed on the gardenweb composting forum) results in a lot of nitrogen being available for composting and probably plays a big part in the success of the method. So, whether you use urine or some other source of nitrogen, it seems like you'll need more nitrogen that what you would expect based purely and the plant requirements since the composting process is eating nitrogen.

OH, by the way, I'd suggest filling the container to the top with leaves, compressing them a bit and then adding some more, otherwise the soil that you put on top starts getting lower and lower :)

• glad2garden
    13 years ago

That's so amazing. It's like gardening on top of a compost pile. The Composting Forum would love this.

13 years ago

Do you pee directly on the veggies? Or do you somehow figure out a way that the pee does not touch the food? This is the craziest thread ever!! I love it!! I am kind of leaning now towards flowers in the pot. I refuse to eat pee!!
    Suzi

• dickiefickle
    13 years ago

Why not pour the pee from a container ?