Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lakemayor

Growing a tree in a container

lakemayor
9 years ago

I want to grow two trees in two containers on my deck. I'm tired of filling them with flowers each year. I live in Michigan and it does get very cold here. Could someone give me the condensed version of growing trees in containers and suggest what type of trees I might have luck with?

Thank you - Karen

Comments (5)

• gardenper
    9 years ago

If your concern is with filling the pots, I think you can still consider fleshy plants. In particular, annuals that grow from direct seeding in the pots, or perennials that you might need to protect in the winter, but otherwise, in general, they return bigger and better every year.

Otherwise, for tree suggestions, we should still know the size of your containers.

• the_yard_guy
    9 years ago

Hello Karen. You stated you wish to grow trees in containers on your deck, and this is totally possible, but to answer your question we would need more information. For example, how big is your deck, what types of trees do you prefer (deciduous or conifers), what size trees do you wish to have, will they be on your deck all winter, how much maintenance are you willing to do, etc.

If you decide to keep your trees outside all winter I strongly recommend that your trees be cold hardy to at least one or even two zones lower than yours since the containers would likely be frozen solid most of the winter. I grow trees in containers and because of the severe winter we had this year I lost several trees due to cold and frozen soil and bitter winds.

There is an excellent thread on here called "Trees in Containers" and it has a lot of good information.

TYG

• Joe1980
    9 years ago

A condensed version could lead to disappointment, and I know this from experience. I agree that you should read Al's (Tapla) posts on the subject, because his methods work. The key is the correct soil, which you will read about.

The only thing that may not be addressed is overwintering, which is variable depending on your climate. I'm in a border of zone 4/5, so similar to you. I have a fenced vegetable garden that I move my outdoor potted trees to, where I bury the pots in the soil, cover the potting mix with an old t-shirt or rag, and mulch over the mix. Sensitive pines or spruces need wind protection as well, so I bury them in snow.

Joe

• lakemayor
    Original Author
    9 years ago

TYG, Our deck is a ground level deck with an upper level 15 x 12 and step down and another 15 x12. My pots are 16"high by 16" diameter. I really don't have any preference to the kind of tree. I do like Alberta spruce and I love the Japanese maples which probably can't be grown in pots in my climate.

• the_yard_guy
    9 years ago

Yes both kinds of trees can be grown in containers in your area. I see them grown in my area all the time (I'm also Z5 Michigan). The only thing I would say up front is that you may have to bring your trees into a garage or other sheltered area for the winter. Certain trees can survive Michigan Z5 winters while growing in containers but many cannot. For example, my white pines had no problem over the brutal winter but I did bring them in a garage for the winter. The soil and the roots were frozen solid but they survived with no problem.

If I were you I would visit a few local nurseries and see what kind of trees you like. Write the names down or take a few photos with your phone and then go home and do some research. The tags on the trees themselves at the nursery often give very little information. How much sun does your deck receive? Some trees want full sun all day long, others need a bit of shade. Is your deck very windy and exposed or is it sheltered? Many Japanese maples need a sheltered area to do well.

I would suggest that whatever trees you select to make sure are hardy down to at least Zone 4 just to be safe. Last year I noted that Lowe's was selling beautiful Blue Atlas Cedar (Cedrus atlantica) trees at a reasonable price. Problem is that those trees need Zone 6 at the minimum, and most of Michigan is Zone 5 or colder. So the zones matter.

Also you should learn about the growth rates of some of the trees you like. How big will they get and how fast? Alberta spruces grow very slowly, but some maples can grow very fast and outgrow the container and the available space in a hurry.

That would be my recommendation to get started. I know it sounds like a lot of "homework" but the more you know about the plants you are considering the better decisions you will make. I have found out the hard way that you cannot always take the nursery employee's word about a specific plant, especially at the so-called "big box stores", so that's why I encourage you to do the research yourself.

And be sure to ask about a replacement warranty in case your tree(s) don't survive.

Hope that helps.

TYG