Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Going down to 41 degrees tonight -- help!

Posted by cinnamonshops Toronto, Canada (My Page) on
Thu, May 23, 13 at 6:41

Hi all,

I planted my tomatoes in containers outside a few days ago, a good week or more after the last frost date. Apparently still too early though, because the nighttime forecast in the next couple of days is in the low 40s. (Daytime highs will be in the high 50s, low 60s for a day or two.)

How much of a cause for alarm is this? What can I do? The smaller plants can be moved indoors, but not the tomatoes.


Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Going down to 41 degrees tonight -- help!

Some people will disagree with me, but if there is very little chance of frost, you will be fine. As long as the temp doesn't get any lower than 38, and there is a little cloudiness, and/or a little breeze, no frost will form. I'm in a similar boat as you, and I'm not too worried. Like I said, as long as skies don't clear and winds go calm, and temp goes below 40, I'm not worried. Tomato growth will slow in the next few days with the cool weather, but no other ill effects as I see it, IMO.

RE: Going down to 41 degrees tonight -- help!

No, I don't think there will be frost. Actually, it's supposed to rain and be windy -- so is that better?

Thanks for the reply!

RE: Going down to 41 degrees tonight -- help!

Rainy and windy is definitely better -- you won't have to worry about frost in those conditions.

RE: Going down to 41 degrees tonight -- help!

  • Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
    Thu, May 23, 13 at 23:55

I am taking chance too, with my 152 tomato plants...still in pots (pootted up), waiting to be planted permanently.
Have benjamina outside too - hope they all make it.
Rain should be better, hopefully wind doesn't pick up too much.

RE: Going down to 41 degrees tonight -- help!

Well mine are still being hardened off, actually spending the night outside two nights in a row when it was quite warm and humid and raining, but I caved in last night and brought them in. I'm in Montreal and although they weren't predicting frost, I just didn't want to take a chance. I had heard on the news that there were frost warnings in parts of Ontario so I guess I became a nervous Nellie.i can't wait to get them in their containers ASAP. Hopefully by Monday. It's nothing but rain, rain and more rain!

RE: Going down to 41 degrees tonight -- help!


As of this morning the tomato plants look ok, I think, but the seasoning pepper plant looks distinctly unimpressed. Sigh. We'll see how it goes. Still a couple of days before the weather starts to warm up again...

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here