Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nmrcons

Indoor Grow Light recommendation?

nmrcons
9 years ago

Hi! I'm thinking I want to replace the light (and add more) that I currently have for my indoor plants. It's a huge CFL bulb for hydro.

Can anyone recommend a good bulb?

thanks!

Comments (9)

• gosalsk
    9 years ago

I would consider one of the t5ho fixtures off ebay. I got one with four 48" bulbs for less than $80 -- DL844 I think it was. Ballasts by ballastwise, which is sort of a no-name company, but I had 10 of their t5ho ballasts running all winter and none had any problems.

• gardenper
    9 years ago

I find the CFL to be more limiting in range and higher in price. I later changed to flourescent style, and am liking it better. You can really just walk into a store and get a flourescent light that is the correct levels or color range that you want, whereas with a CFL, it had to be ordered online (or at least, I never found a local place to get one).

And you can get that light with a customized fixture exactly with indoor plant lighting in mind, or just use it with another generic flourescent fixture that can do a similar job also.

• dethcheez
    9 years ago

I know that with the prices hydro shops etc. charge for bulbs
    You probably wouldn't think $0.59 to $1 bulbs would work
    But they do

Check at your bigger 99 cent stores
    You can get 2600k 40w = 150w comparable spiral CFLs for a bux or less

I've used them to over winter my Nepenthes & a few other CPs indoors plus to grow other plants & they work just fine

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

You might even want to go to a HID lamp, but it really depends on what - and how much - you are growing. Does the CFL really do the job now? Will your indoor garden expand - either in plant size or number?

Dennis

• Joe1980
    9 years ago

I agree with the T5 suggestion. I don't know what kind of square footage you're trying to light up, but a 6 lamp T5 high bay fixture with a silver reflector will grow pretty much anything. That'll light a 2'x4' area. Before I owned a house, I grew cacti and succulents under a 400w metal halide. Everything grew great, but the heat is intense. It would scorch any type of foliage plants if too close. It's also expensive to buy and operate. CFL lamps are almost too concentrated to grow under, unless you have a bunch. Also, I'd recommend a color temperature of 4100K or higher, for good foliage growth. Better would be an even mix of lower temperatures, like 2700 to 3500, and higher temperatures, like 4100 plus.

Joe

• nmrcons
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all!
    I've been looking online at eBay and Amazon trying to decide what to get and reading up on what works what doesn't, so much info.

I'm literally just trying to light up a few plants in my windowsill (10ft windows, but not convinced enough light is getting through---especially for my citruses). Maybe 2'x8" worth of area total that I want to add lights to.

I think these http://www.homedepot.com/p/EcoSmart-60W-Equivalent-Daylight-5000K-Twister-CFL-Light-Bulb-4-Pack-ES5M814450K/100687001 and the 100 watts from the same brand are what we use for regular lighting in our apt right now.

The Hydro CFL bulb I have on a couple plants does seem to be working, after I moved my citruses to another window they all started wilting so I think the light did have some benefit.

This is the bulb I currently have: http://www.amazon.com/Hydroponic-Full-Spectrum-Light-5500K/dp/B005P29K1S/ref=sr_1_21?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1400759384&sr=1-21&keywords=t5+grow+lights

This post was edited by nmr82 on Thu, May 22, 14 at 7:50

• nmrcons
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh sorry, I've got a Meyer Lemon, Key Lime, and Minneola Tangelo Tree. In another window I've got 3 cherry tomatoes, a cucumber, jalapeno, and banana pepper.

• nmrcons
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Does anyone have experience using LEDs?

• gosalsk
    9 years ago

LEDs are expensive and not very bright. No more efficient than fluorescents and less reliable (in the case of cheap LEDs made for growing plants). Pass on them.