Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pots for Eggplants

Posted by uaskigyrl 7 (My Page) on
Tue, May 28, 13 at 7:40

Good Morning, All!

I've got Turkish Orange Eggplant and Black Beauty Eggplant, how big of a container will I need for both? From some of my research, I'm under the impression that 5 gallon will be ok? Also, will they need stakes?

Thanks
Jessica

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pots for Eggplants

Eggplants will grow in 5 gallon buckets but in my experience they'll grow bigger in a bigger pot. I used to grow 3 in a 3 cu. ft. container. Last year I went with two eggplants in a 3 cu. ft. container and those two produced as much eggplants as when I grew 3. This year I'm testing a 3 cu. ft. container with only one eggplant. A 5 gallon bucket is about 3/4 cu. ft. They'll grow without stakes. I use a small wire hoop tomato cage for mine because sometimes the eggplants can get heavy on the limbs and it helps keep the plant from blowing over in heavy storms.

o

I just planted two eggplants in a 20 gallon hydro farm grow bag. I put one of those tomato cages that form a triangle. I'm hoping it'll be big enough.
Sharon

o

I grow almost exclusively in EarthBox and DIY EarthBox (self watering containers AKA SWC). I put only one eggplant in each EarthBox even though the company tells me 2 would work fine. I get healthier plants when the plants are not crowded. I also put only one eggplant in an 18 gallon rope bucket container. My eggplants are Rosa and Rosita and they require cage or stake when fruit are present because the fruit pull the plant down - in my experience.

DL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here