Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajc9

Best place to purchase containers...flowers/herbs

ajc9
11 years ago

Hello all!

I'm in search of some black flower pots...some for herbs...some square and one or two rectangular. Where would u suggest I shop?

Thank you!

Comments (7)

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    11 years ago

I don't know where you live, so I can only tell you what I tell people in the Midwest: look for an independent garden store. Even if they don't offer black plastic nursery pots, they probably have a wholesale source. They may be willing to sell (or give) you some. Another possibility is online sources. Google what you want, and be specific. One source I found was Home Harvest Garden Supply. I have no connection to this company.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Harvest nursery pots

• tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)
    11 years ago

If you are looking for regular plastic nursery type of pots, then your local landscape/garden supplier is often the best place. I get mine this way and it is free. My favorite place has literally thousands in a massive pile. I go there once in year or two to stock up.

• blazeaglory
    11 years ago

Surprising enough Big Lots has an entire section devoted to many different sizes and styles of pots. They are half as much as you would pay anywhere else. The Big Lots by my house has half wine barrel (synthetic) for $12. Many terra cotta pots for $5 to $15. Huge plastic pots that big box stores sell for more than $30 Big Lots has for $12.

Here is a link that might be useful: Big Lots

• captiveroots
    11 years ago

I found two great places that you can find pretty much anywhere.

Home Depot: surprisingly cheap containers. I found square 6.5 gallon planters for about $7 there (I included a link to my blog that shows what they look like)

WalMart: Has 11.4 gallon flexible tubs in black, red, green, and dark blue. These are perfect for tomatoes and pretty much anything else you want to plant. They are also cheap for the size: about $6 each.

I also agree with the poster above about visiting your local nursery/garden supply store. They are the best place to get cheap nursery pots (often 5 gallon pots are around $3.50 here).

If you only need a couple, I would get the planters, since they look better (in my opinion anyway) and are more sturdy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to my blog about containers

• eibren
    11 years ago

If you live near an Ollie's discount store or similar, check them out. I bought some nice large ceramic ones at my local Ollie's today for under $20 They had all shapes and colors, including black. Mine were from China (supposedly a Ming style in brown) and Vietnam (a smaller sky blue one) and a large white one with "handles".

They also had a few wheeled drip pans to place under pots
    in some sort of tough plastic material.

• dickiefickle
    11 years ago

Dollar Store had some cute buckets with rope handle in my area ,Held about 2 gallons at most

• Nunyabiz1
    11 years ago

Costco is where I get most everything except seeds.

55quart bag of Miracle grow potting mix with moisture control is $9.99.
    15 gallon quality pots are $18.