Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about Turface for Gritty Mix

Posted by krismast 6 (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 12 at 8:11

Hi everyone. This is my first time mixing up gritty mix and I had a question about the Turface. I was sifting the Turface last night using a homemade sifter with insect screen on the bottom. I had read from others that when they sifted their Turface they lost up to 50% of the bag! But I don't feel that I lost much at all. I just wanted to make sure that I sifted it right and got rid of the fines. I put a few scoops in the sifter and just shook it back and forth until only a few small pieces were falling out. I also took my hand and rubbed it over the screen to help push more of the smaller pieces out. After all this it took me about two hours to sift a 50 pound bag and I hope that I don't have to resift! Do you think I sifted it thoroughly enough?

Thanks for the help!
Kristopher

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about Turface for Gritty Mix

The amount you lose varies from bag to bag. You will also notice most of the finer stuff is near the bottom of the bag. You are doing fine and you do not need to work so hard. I can go through a 50 lb bag in 20 min or less.

o

Sometimes life smiles at you, and you may have lucked out with a good bag! As long as it was turface "MVP" or "Allsport", sounds good...

o

Are you using aluminum or fiberglass insect screen? The fiberglass screen has thicker strands which means smaller holes. You want to use aluminum screen so that more of the smaller particles are allowed to pass through.

Also, I think many of the people losing around half of their Turface (like myself) are using something coarser than insect screen which is probably unnecessary in most cases.

-Chris

o

I average about 1/4 of the bag lost to "fines". As mentioned, you'll feel like you're doing great, until you get to the bottom, where the small stuff is. Then you feel like 95% of it is lost.

Joe

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, May 7, 12 at 20:08

I usually lose around 1/5, maybe 1/4.

Al

o

Thanks for the responses everyone! I am using aluminum screen. I guess I must have just gotten lucky with a good bag because even at the bottom it didn't seem all that dusty!

Thanks again!
Kristopher

o
I did not screen it

Since I had to order my turface on the internet. I had not very much of it. The bark was 1/4 size from a good orchid place, the turface was 1/4 and so was the granite. I can't see any point in losing some of the turface because it gets ground into powder from the screening. It worked out great for me anyway. I was a bit heavier on the bark, due to a lack of the turface and granite, but the plants still look good and they are not sitting there wet. I checked and they are draining out. So, I don't think one needs to screen it. If the plant is a super fussy plant and ultra expensive maybe, but these were just test plants. They need good, but not excellent drainage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here