Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bush Early Girl

Posted by gardenway z6 KY (bess107@juno.com) on
Sun, May 29, 11 at 8:34

When I plant tomatoes in the ground, I plant them deep. I'm growing a Bush Early Girl in a container - should it be planted deep or is it better not to?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bush Early Girl

Whether a determinate or indeterminate both can benefit from a few more roots. I am trying bush early girl this year for the first time. Last summer was so cool here no one did well with tomatoes. Al

o

plantem deep.

o

The best thing you can do, originally a tip from a local organic farmer in Tomato Land (Central CA), is plant the seedling at a 45 degree angle with as much stem under soil as possible. This provides horizontal surface area for rooting, since roots grow down primarily this is fairly significant.

You can also bury the first set of leaves and they will turn into large roots and provide boosted nutrient uptake much faster than roots of equivalent size could ever grow from the bare stem. These roots are also in a different location on the stem than such beefy roots would normally grow.

These two techniques together provide a massive root structure that grows more quickly than just sticking a tomato in the ground vertically, however deep. If your soil does not drain extremely well (clay based) you may not want to plant a tomato too deep or it may get soggy feet.

o

Thanks for the responses. I did plant it deep but don't see much additional leaf growth since planting, although I do have two green tomatoes. I also left it in the biogradable pot (said to on the packaging) and wish now I hadn't.

o

Sorry, I forgot at the end there that this is for a container, soggy feet should not be a real problem if you have a potting mix.

o

I normally plant them an inch deeper than previous pot. The only time I go deeper is if the transplant is too tall. I have 8 toms and more flowers on my one eg already.

o

Any opinion on biogradable pot - I'm thinking it would have been better to cut it off before planting.

o

I agree with you, carefully remove the biodegradable pot and throw it on the compost pile.

o

greentiger87, compost pile seems like the best place for it - !!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here