Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clemsontyger

Size of container for peppers?

clemsontyger
9 years ago

I've seen various recommendations on various sites regarding the proper size of container needed for growing peppers. Just wondering if anyone has successfully grown poblanos, bananas, and bell (green/red/orange) peppers in container pots, and if so, how large was the pot? Would 3 gallons be sufficient?

Comments (7)

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    9 years ago

Peppers work well in containers. I've grown all three of the ones you mentioned in containers. There have been many discussions about this subject in the hot pepper forum. Although some might tell you that 3 gallons would be adequate for a pepper, most would probably agree with me that you need at least a 5-gallon container for a pepper. A 5-gallon nursery container actually only holds 3.5 gallons of potting mix. Many people grow peppers in those 5-gallon paint buckets sold in hardware stores, which really do hold 5 gallons. The peppers you want to grow will get pretty large. I've grown poblanos that got almost four feet tall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hot Pepper Forum

• clemsontyger
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks OH, I'm about to head out shortly to pick up a few. I will probably go with the 5's just to be on the safe side. Assuming you staked your poblanos, but how about the bells? Did those require staking as well? Also, for the 5 gallon size, did you fill the whole thing with potting mixture or did you use some kind of filler at the bottom and then start from there with the soil?

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    9 years ago

I staked all of them. Peppers are brittle and can be easily broken by the wind, especially when top heavy with fruit. Fill any container you use with uniform potting mix from the bottom to the top. Any filler in the bottom will interfere with drainage and waste space needed by the roots.

Don't use any soil in a container, only use soilless mix. If you haven't read the Container Soils -- Water Movement and Retention thread in this forum, I recommend doing that before you choose your potting mix.

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Soils

• clemsontyger
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well I got a few 12" (5 gallon) containers at Lowe's but I am thinking the 5 gallon bucket will be the way to go. Now...here's a silly question. Does the color of the bucket make any difference at all as far as heating/drying out? FOr some reason the black 5 gallons around here are not that cheap, but appears white (or blue from Lowe's) is.

• johns.coastal.patio
    9 years ago

I think the Lowes blue bucket is OK in heat, and very popular.

You'll get lots of opinions on drilling them :-).

I'll start: 5 holes around the sides, close to the bottom, 3/4 or even 1 inch in size. One more hole that size in the center of the bottom.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

There is a minor difference in temperature, yes.

Josh

• clemsontyger
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I went with the white food-safe (BPA free) 5 gallon buckets at Lowes. Wish me luck.